Coye Knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meth Lab Decon, Wagoner County '09. Don't ask where.

We didn't use any other cutting tools on this job. This was the first hard-use field test for the 154CM steel.

[Broken External Image]

When a mattress doesn't have a handle, we make one.
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

It got used like any other tool. We cut, pried and generally beat the crap out of this knife. At some point it got dropped and stepped on. I found it ground in to the dirt in the front of the property. So far, so good.

Overall, I was happy with the edge retention. As I do all of my own heat treating and cryogenic treatment, this was an important test.

BC

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amen brother! Knife Makers are a different breed thats for sure.

Kick arse down at Blade in Atlanta for us. Make sure and get Matt Ryans auto for me....lol Falcons baby!!

Guys, if you want a hard use Tac- Blade, Bill is your guy. His knives are currently being used by our troops overseas as well as LEO!!! His Blades and design have proven themselves. :mosh:

Kick butt down there Bill!!! I hope to see you at one of the Blades a few years from now...maybe even go half on a booth....hehe

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I'll let you know how it goes - gotta get through Wanenmacher's first!

BC

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a Flight Nurse/Paramedic for Tulsa Life Flight for 10 years, I wore a necker under my nomex flight suit daily. There is a design for a necker on the drawing board but I won't be able to put any real R&D into it until after Blade in Atlanta.

BC

Well let me know when you get one made, I am in for sure. These knives are awesome and I would love to have, wear, and use a true piece of craftsmanship and art.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to re-post these first pics of a knife build I've got going on now.

Randy Milligan from OPS took this Oscar Mike prototype out for a spin after we beat it on a job in Arkansas. Now it's time to put that knife away and make him a new one. You can see I didn't sink the corby bolt deep enough on the butt of the knife.....oops. Hey, it's a prototype

Specs:

3/16 CPM 154 CM Stainless.
9 3/4" OAL.
Black micarta handle material.
Stainless corby bolts.
In-house heat treat, cryogenic treatment, triple tempered.
Two kydex sheaths: one to mount inside the mag pouch on the duty belt and one with a tek-lok for belt carry.
Did I really agree to this?!?

Here's the beater
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Like anything else, a design will go through an evolution as time goes on. Here are three different variants of the same knife. Although slight, each one fits differently in the hand. Finished balance and weight also are a concern. The design goals here are for a general utility knife that's light and quick in the hand yet has backbone to get the job done. The utility-type blade style lends itself better for general use versus a tanto, or other shaped blade.

[Broken External Image]

Use your kydex pattern and draw your outline
[Broken External Image]

Over to the bi-metal bandsaw for a little rough cutting
[Broken External Image]

Then to the grinder to profile the blank
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Drilling holes in the tang. Using 1/4" bit on a very slow speed on the drill press. If you don't go slow with the larger (> 1/8") bits you'll burn them up. Trust me.

Make sure to clamp that blank down if you value your fingers:)

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Hollow out the tand with a 2" wheel and a 40 grit belt
[Broken External Image]

Now to taper the tang - this will lighten the knife and give it better balance.
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Crappy picture but you can see the tang is tapered.
[Broken External Image]

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got all of the mill scale ground off which is a bear

[Broken External Image]

Scribe some lines along the edge so you know where your going!

Fail to plan, plan to fail :)
[Broken External Image]

Hollow ground on an 8" wheel with 60 grit then 120 grit. We'll leave it there for heat treat
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Thumb serrations now before heat treating - other wise it'll be VERY difficult to cut those afterwards.
[Broken External Image]

That sucker is HOT. The blade gets "plate quenched' - two 1" pieces of aluminum draw the heat out in a rapid fashion to harden the steel properly.
[Broken External Image]

Into the oven at 1940'F for soak time of 20 minutes (takes an hour for the oven to ramp up that high), then temper the blade at 700'F for two hours. Now for the -300F liquid nitrogen cryogenic treatment
[Broken External Image]

The Oscar Mike and an Alpha Echo out of cryo
[Broken External Image]

After a second temper cycle, time to clean it up
[Broken External Image]

warrior45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah buddy! I love your WIP's Bill. Now more folks can see what really goes into knife making.

I love your designs Bill...second, I love hollow grinds! For some reason I tried hollow grinding several weeks ago. Not an easy thing to do. They say its easier than flat grinding...well I guess thats why I need to get down to your shop brother....lol

Just so everyone knows. Bill is the first maker to send me steel to practice on. Its an honor to share a forum with a maker such as Bill. Keep on rockin on.

Looking great, looking forward to the finish work.

Stay tuned fellas, it gets better....Trust me.

Much love BC!!!!

Chris

warrior45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, now we are talking! We need pics of the oven Bill. I still need to buy me one ASAP! This enables you to HT and temper your own blades accurately. I envy you Bill.....LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom