Coyote hunting in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nah my tips aren't any good anyways. Somebody with way more experience and that has had way more success calling and killing coyotes will be along shortly to answer all the questions you have. I've got to get back to work.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turkey chokes work the best in my opinion. My uncle had 2 different cases this spring where yotes came in to hen turkey yelps when we were hunting turkeys. He took the first one down at 10 yards on a dead run at us. The second my cousin missed at about 6 feet on a dead run at us and we cleaned him up as he turned and ran off. As for what is the best caliber I'd say whatever you shoot best. I shot a Ruger model 77 .204 and killed several yotes, a lot of people will say that's too small a bullet but every one i hit went down. I prefer a 22-250 in the open and a 12 gauge with #4 turkey loads or hevi shot coyote loads. If you are getting cats to come in the .204 is great for poking small holes. I just bought a new savage 9317 (.17 hmr) and im excited to see how small a hole it will leave in a bobcat. Nothing worse than ruining a nice hide.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Turkey chokes work the best in my opinion. My uncle had 2 different cases this spring where yotes came in to hen turkey yelps when we were hunting turkeys. He took the first one down at 10 yards on a dead run at us. The second my cousin missed at about 6 feet on a dead run at us and we cleaned him up as he turned and ran off. As for what is the best caliber I'd say whatever you shoot best. I shot a Ruger model 77 .204 and killed several yotes, a lot of people will say that's too small a bullet but every one i hit went down. I prefer a 22-250 in the open and a 12 gauge with #4 turkey loads or hevi shot coyote loads. If you are getting cats to come in the .204 is great for poking small holes. I just bought a new savage 9317 (.17 hmr) and im excited to see how small a hole it will leave in a bobcat. Nothing worse than ruining a nice hide.
That dead coyote load isn't legal in Oklahoma. Just trying to save you a ticket.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, hevi-shot costs a fortune to shoot. I bought Hornadys new turkey loads this year and while they aren't the best turkey shells, they work good on dogs. Last year they were $10 a box but I think they are a couple bucks more now.

coythtr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iv been coyote hunting for 15 yrs, One thing i do is write in note pad info on all stands made, If it was succesful write down everything, wind-temp-time-sounds used-so on.
Then look back and see whats working and pattern ur success.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Iv been coyote hunting for 15 yrs, One thing i do is write in note pad info on all stands made, If it was succesful write down everything, wind-temp-time-sounds used-so on.
Then look back and see whats working and pattern ur success.

I've done that a few times but not every year. That is a great tip though. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom