Coyote Hunting on WMAs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake777

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I've been lurking on this forum for I while but I'm new to posting. I was hoping y'all could answer a question for me:

Are there any restrictions on the firearms you can use to hunt coyote on the various WMAs in OK? Like as in shotgun only or something like that? I have a bolt action .223 I was hoping to use.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A big welcome to OSA firstly and foremostly...

Excerpt: Legal Means of Taking Firearms or Archery • Daylight only: Any legal firearm or archery equipment. • Nighttime only: Hunters may possess a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or .22 caliber rimfire pistol and a light carried on the person while in pur - suit of furbearers with hounds during the legal, open furbearer season, while possessing a valid hunting license, unless exempt. • Laser sights: Nothing in this section shall prevent a person from possessing a .22 caliber rim - fire rifle or pistol with a laser sighting device while hunting or taking furbearers with hounds during legal, open furbearer season, while possessing a valid hunting license.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/sites/default/files/huntguide1617.pdf

It's all in there for ya.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another welcome to the site. WMA's have different regulations per wma. State regulations during deer seasons also come into play.
Get online at wildlifedepartment.com as has been said, and check out the particular WMA you wanting to hunt. Its broken down in the regs.
During deer seasons, the regs are different than when its not deer season, so keep that in mind.

Jake777

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! So I read that earlier but I also came across this on the website:

"Wildlife Management Areas
All forms of hunting are permitted on Lakes Vincent, Jap Beaver, Burtschi, Dahlgren, Nanih Waiya, Ozzie Cobb, Schooler, Chambers, American Horse, and Vanderwork during open hunting seasons which occur during the period of September 1 through March 1, including migratory bird seasons. Hunting is restricted to shotguns, long bow and arrows only, except rifles are also permitted for the taking of deer on Lake Vincent area (area within boundary fence) during the the deer gun season. Hunting and shooting other than that provided above is prohibited."

I guess that is referring to the lakes only but for some reason the wording had me confused when it said "hunting and shooting other than that provided above is prohibited"

I guess I was overthinking it.

Reading is hard. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! So I read that earlier but I also came across this on the website:

"Wildlife Management Areas
All forms of hunting are permitted on Lakes Vincent, Jap Beaver, Burtschi, Dahlgren, Nanih Waiya, Ozzie Cobb, Schooler, Chambers, American Horse, and Vanderwork during open hunting seasons which occur during the period of September 1 through March 1, including migratory bird seasons. Hunting is restricted to shotguns, long bow and arrows only, except rifles are also permitted for the taking of deer on Lake Vincent area (area within boundary fence) during the the deer gun season. Hunting and shooting other than that provided above is prohibited."

I guess that is referring to the lakes only but for some reason the wording had me confused when it said "hunting and shooting other than that provided above is prohibited"

I guess I was overthinking it.

Reading is hard. :D
There are a lot of grey areas in the Ok wildlife hunting regs that are discretionary by Game Wardens.
The booklet you get at walmart comes from a committee of Wildlife Department employees that break down the Titles 29 and 800 of Oklahoma statutes governing fish and wildlife laws and attempt to put it into layman terms instead of legalese. They do make some mistakes. I'm friends with a Department Supervisor Game Warden, and pointed some discrepancy's out to him after scouring the walmart issue vs the same reg the years before. He told me how the booklet is developed.
If you want to get the real regulations, the title 800 and 29 regulations are the law, the booklet for the public is just for information, and not a legal document. It even says so.

Jake777

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of grey areas in the Ok wildlife hunting regs that are discretionary by Game Wardens.
The booklet you get at walmart comes from a committee of Wildlife Department employees that break down the Titles 29 and 800 of Oklahoma statutes governing fish and wildlife laws and attempt to put it into layman terms instead of legalese. They do make some mistakes. I'm friends with a Department Supervisor Game Warden, and pointed some discrepancy's out to him after scouring the walmart issue vs the same reg the years before. He told me how the booklet is developed.
If you want to get the real regulations, the title 800 and 29 regulations are the law, the booklet for the public is just for information, and not a legal document. It even says so.

Looks like the local game warden's contact info is listed as well. You think I'd get a clearer answer by just reaching out directly?

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aren't coyotes and hogs pretty much open season here year round? Unless of course it's during Deer season. So you can go out to a WMA during the day and kill some **** with no problem as long as you have your hunting liscense?

Latest posts

Top Bottom