Coyotes and shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was turned off on shotguns vs coyotes many years ago. Unlike others that have had success, my experience was not positive.
My son was pheasant hunting with me when a coyote came up at his feet behind a pond dam. He shot once with #4 pheasant loads at 20 yds and rolled it. One roll and it was back on its feet running so I hit it at 30 yds with #4, making it stumble but not go down. It disappeared running like it was never hit.
Thats my one and only time to shoot a coyote with a shotgun.
That would be my concern (using pheasant or turkey loads for a big dog). I wonder how many of the shooters (who say they've killed yotes with such) actually wounded some which ran off.

I've never used shotgun when hunting coyotes, but they (yotes) get really big in Seminole. As in, "..how'd that stray calf get in the pasture?" "That's no calf! That's a coyote!"

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be my concern (using pheasant or turkey loads for a big dog). I wonder how many of the shooters (who say they've killed yotes with such) actually wounded some which ran off.

I've never used shotgun when hunting coyotes, but they (yotes) get really big in Seminole. As in, "..how'd that stray calf get in the pasture?" "That's no calf! That's a coyote!"
I had that conversation with myself my first time hunting pigeon my buddies land down near the red river. Thought for half a sec that someones calf was swimming to Texas, but it was just a big ol pig.
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
I just went to pull up the actual wording of the reg so you don't have to take it from me. Turns out I have been wrong this whole time.

according to ODWC:
No person in the field may possess or attempt to harvest any wildlife, except waterfowl and crane, with a shotgun using shot larger than #4 buckshot. Hogs are not considered wildlife; see Small Game/Hog Regulations for shotgun provisions for hogs.

I misread things. Now that I've blown some serious cash on turkey loads, I need to go find some #4 Buck.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said, I haven’t officially checked it, but Hodgdon shows a 1 1/8 oz load and 33.5 grain of Longshot is supposed to produce 1530 fps. Judging by the recoil, I tend to believe it’s true.
I'm interested in hearing about the results. I would hate to have to invest into shotshell reloading as well, but who knows, I might.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had that conversation with myself my first time hunting pigeon my buddies land down near the red river. Thought for half a sec that someones calf was swimming to Texas, but it was just a big ol pig.

I just went to pull up the actual wording of the reg so you don't have to take it from me. Turns out I have been wrong this whole time.

according to ODWC:
No person in the field may possess or attempt to harvest any wildlife, except waterfowl and crane, with a shotgun using shot larger than #4 buckshot. Hogs are not considered wildlife; see Small Game/Hog Regulations for shotgun provisions for hogs.

I misread things. Now that I've blown some serious cash on turkey loads, I need to go find some #4 Buck.
I would check with a game warden because the key wording in that is harvest any wildlife and Hogs are not considered wildlife. You may be able to go 00 Buckshot.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try some Winchester Long Beard XR loads but you need the matching choke to go with it. For turkey they have some serious reach. I was patterning to find a load I could use at night which the the regs allow nothing larger than #6 birdshot. :pissed:

My Benelli is about a 40 yard coyote gun with those and that may be pushing it a bit. I was so disappointed that I quit trying to find a load to use at night. I guess one might try those with a cylinder choke and see if they act like slugs... :rubhands:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would check with a game warden because the key wording in that is harvest any wildlife and Hogs are not considered wildlife. You may be able to go 00 Buckshot.
while hogs are not coyotes, I asked the same question when I spoke with the biologist at okmulgee yesterday when patterning the SXP, and he agreed with me, but he said that he tells people to practice with a side of caution. Some game wardens may not see it that way, and unless you hear it from the warden in your area, its best to just carry ammo acceptable for your quarry. He stated that while buckshot may be legal for hogs, how does the game warden know that you're just after hogs? He said it creates an iffy area that leaves a hunter in a bad spot if the wrong warden comes by.

Sucks, 30 minutes prior to talking to the biologist the Game Warden Supervisor came by and checked my license, first time I have ever had my license checked in my life. Totally didn't think of asking him.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So back to the original topic, how many pellets on target do you consider sufficient for coyotes? Are my 50 yard targets indicating that 50 yards is too far, or is it still ok? any issues with penetration with thicker winter coats?

Latest posts

Top Bottom