Coyotes and shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

I guess I'll just stick with my Browning 1885 in 22 hornet.

I don’t believe that is correct. I believe the rule is #4 buckshot. Nothing larger is legal for coyotes, at least that was the law the last time I read it, which was a couple years ago.

#4 buckshot will drop one in a big damn hurry, but I don’t know about its effectiveness out past 50 yards though. It will damn sure put one down inside 50 yards.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So back to the original topic, how many pellets on target do you consider sufficient for coyotes? Are my 50 yard targets indicating that 50 yards is too far, or is it still ok? any issues with penetration with thicker winter coats?
It looks to me that your pattern density would get the job done. The question is will birdshot penetrate to vitals? I'm skeptical. Totally agree on #4 buck, I'd not think twice about using it at 50 yards on a yote, but birdshot gives me pause.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So back to the original topic, how many pellets on target do you consider sufficient for coyotes? Are my 50 yard targets indicating that 50 yards is too far, or is it still ok? any issues with penetration with thicker winter coats?

Just to be clear, are you using #4 birdshot or #4 buckshot?

#4 birdshot is not sufficient to kill a yote probably past 25-30 yards. I’ve seen bird dogs get hit with a pretty good load of 4’s pheasant hunting and they just keep on hunting. If you’re shooting at yotes past 40 yards with birdshot, I’d ask you to reconsider.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, Well while I am amply prepared for turkey season, I am woefully unprepared for coyotes, thanks to my terrible lack of reading comprehension of the regs. I had my doubts, but I kept reading other guys saying turkey loads and #4's were working, but I'm beginning to believe that most of the talk was #4 buck. Which makes more sense to me. Suggestions on finding some #4 buck around OKC? I don't think I have enough time to order some without paying ungodly amounts of money for rushed shipping.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It goes back to Master Carper’s thread about long range crow hunting. He’s using #2 shot to kill crows at long range, so I would think that same principle is going to apply for killing coyotes at a distance.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
It goes back to Master Carper’s thread about long range crow hunting. He’s using #2 shot to kill crows at long range, so I would think that same principle is going to apply for killing coyotes at a distance.
the weight carrying kinetic energy further idea, or the one or two pellets in the vitals is sufficient idea?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, Well while I am amply prepared for turkey season, I am woefully unprepared for coyotes, thanks to my terrible lack of reading comprehension of the regs. I had my doubts, but I kept reading other guys saying turkey loads and #4's were working, but I'm beginning to believe that most of the talk was #4 buck. Which makes more sense to me. Suggestions on finding some #4 buck around OKC? I don't think I have enough time to order some without paying ungodly amounts of money for rushed shipping.
I don’t doubt that folks are killing coyotes with #4 shot but at what distance is the question. Probably not 50 yards.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t doubt that folks are killing coyotes with #4 shot but at what distance is the question. Probably not 50 yards.
I would like to be able to get out to 50. I don't need to be getting any more reach than that, just want something for close up stuff that just won't work well for my main rifle I'll be using.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve killed a bunch of deer with 00 buckshot, and I limit my shots to 30ish yards. I’m sure it will do the job at greater distances, but I don’t have faith it will do it efficiently. Personally, I would be less concerned about a coyote running off after being shot, but I still don’t want them to run off and suffer for a day or two. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom