Coyotes and shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^ exactly. Which to be honest doesn’t make much sense. That’s like saying you have to use rimfire on wild pigs at night. It’s just not effective or ethical.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something but why use a shotgun for coyotes unless you're hunting them at night?
While I have yet to test the theory, what I have figured is that with predator hunting you typically use rests. I’m using a full blown tripod on my 12-13lb 24” 223 bolt gun. Having a shotgun in my lap allows me to make quicker shots if the coyote sneaks up within 50 yards and is not where I can easily swing the boat anchor around. Also easier to use in close quarters/when they’re too close to easily get your crosshairs on him.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I have yet to test the theory, what I have figured is that with predator hunting you typically use rests. I’m using a full blown tripod on my 12-13lb 24” 223 bolt gun. Having a shotgun in my lap allows me to make quicker shots if the coyote sneaks up within 50 yards and is not where I can easily swing the boat anchor around. Also easier to use in close quarters/when they’re too close to easily get your crosshairs on him.
So you're toting 2 guns out in the field?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to field and stream:
Shotguns are easier to hit with at close range,” he says. “They're better for shots at coyotes running to the call, or ones that have busted you and turn to run.” As a hide hunter, Brown notes that shotguns do less damage to pelts than do most rifles.

I’ve heard a lot of predator hunters also talk about how focusing on getting coyotes in shotgun range is not only a ton of fun but makes them a better hunter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom