Coyotes and shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some other opinions on it:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1875731
I’m also hunting public land. Typically to find the good stuff you gotta get way back in the property. Having the flexibility of being prepared for any stand saves me the time and effort by walking from stand to stand, rather than making trips back to the truck.

I’m also a mixed bag kinda hunter. Having the shotgun on me allows me to bag a rabbit should I come across one. Or shoot a pig I tripped over walking down a creekbed. Been there done that.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure. I wonder if @Jared has any thoughts or experience on this?
Shot size restriction used to be no larger than BB for any wildlife except waterfowl and crane and #6 for the coyote night permit.

Now, it is restricted to no larger than No. 4 Buckshot for wildlife (includes coyote) (where shotgun w/pellets is a legal method of take) except for waterfowl and crane. This change was made for the benefit of the predator hunter.

Coyotes are "wildlife" by definition of the state's wildlife code, so no avenue for some to interpret them as non-wildlife and exempt from the aforementioned shotgun restriction.

The coyote night permit is still restricted to No. 6 shot.

Feral hogs may be pursued on private land with any shotgun pellet size, but public lands are restricted to the No. 4 Buckshot. If a big game or turkey season is open then hog hunting is restricted to the legal method for that season on that particular public land (check the regulations for that area).

As for the question above.... The shotgun pellet size restriction is aimed at enforcing the illegal activity of hunting deer with dogs.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot size restriction used to be no larger than BB for any wildlife except waterfowl and crane and #6 for the coyote night permit.

Now, it is restricted to no larger than No. 4 Buckshot for wildlife (includes coyote) (where shotgun w/pellets is a legal method of take) except for waterfowl and crane. This change was made for the benefit of the predator hunter.

Coyotes are "wildlife" by definition of the state's wildlife code, so no avenue for some to interpret them as non-wildlife and exempt from the aforementioned shotgun restriction.

Feral hogs may be pursued on private land with any shotgun pellet size, but public lands are restricted to the No. 4 Buckshot. If a big game or turkey season is open then hog hunting is restricted to the legal method for that season on that particular public land (check the regulations for that area).

As for the question above.... The shotgun pellet size restriction is aimed at enforcing the illegal activity of hunting deer with dogs.
Thanks for the input and clarification, I appreciate it.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I appreciate the thorough response. Thank you.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the ODWC:

• You can use whatever you want, slugs included. As long as it isn’t nighttime or anything larger than #4 buck.
Am I missing something here. Slugs = OK, but nothing larger than #4 buck??? Isn't a slug a lot larger than #4 buck??? Old mind just pondering worldly things.....

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I missing something here. Slugs = OK, but nothing larger than #4 buck??? Isn't a slug a lot larger than #4 buck??? Old mind just pondering worldly things.....
True, but it offers much better penetration. I did a little reading into it, and it seems like one of the reasons behind a lot of states outlawing large buckshot for hunting is due to ethical concerns due to people going into the woods and spraying anything deer sized or larger with buckshot at ranges that don’t allow for decent penetration.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I talked to a coworker today about pheasant hunting and I asked him if he ever runs across coyotes while hunting. He said “hell yeah we do and we shoot them if the landowner that gave us permission tells us to.”

I asked if the stuff they’re using on pheasants works on coyotes very good.. and he said you have to shoot them a few times.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
then the same super x, only #5s.
View attachment 253522View attachment 253523
lastly, I tried the same choke with my 26” barrel and the federal grand slams to check and make sure the barrel length wasn’t hindering my patterning. It doesn’t appear to be any different?
View attachment 253524
so this shotgun is supposed to be used as my coyote and turkey shotgun. What do you guys look for in a coyote shotgun? Do you use one? It looks like 25yds is plenty of lead on target for a coyote, but 50 doesn’t. Am I wrong? What kind of range should I be seeing? I keep hearing about guys taking coyotes at 65 yards with shotguns, which just sounds ridiculous.
Slugs

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Hornady Heavy Mag coyote loads in BB.
I smacked down 6 large dogs with them this year so far and they are lethal as all get out.
I would say 50 yards would be your max range, however, with the proper set up and calling, getting them to within 50 is not a problem.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have yet to have a confirmed coyote kill.

Most of the time I have never had any luck getting one to respond to the call.

And ocasionally I like to mess with the deer mommys in the spring with me ki-yi call using the fawn distress.

A mommy deer close by runs back and forth like crazy "my baby my baby"! Lol

Well, one time I did that, there was no deer that day, but after about 1/2 hour something (not a deer) showed up, so I grabbed the 22 and sure enough, looked like a coyote to me, so I sent one after it.

It jumped into my tree line between pastures.

But I did not go looking for it, I was in my shorts and there is a lot of poison ivy in that brushy treeline!

Mighta missed too, it happens!

Latest posts

Top Bottom