Crap range day: P238 Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love this little thing but today about made me take it to the chop saw. I've shot it a decent amount and its my pocket carry gun. Its easy to shoot, accurate and handles well....but today for whatever reason the friggin mags wouldnt stay seated. Lock it in place like normal and a few shots in the mag would just drop out the bottom. At first I thought maybe I fubar'd the insertion but then I put it back and gave the bump pad a good tug and its locked in place. Shoot it a bit and there it is, loose in my hand again. I'm pretty frustrated right now as I said above it WAS my pocket carry gun so I guess I'll be sending it into Sig and carrying the Kimber again for a bit. I read online some others having the same issue and some believe they are bumping the mag release while shooting (it is afterall a pretty small gun) but I dont think I am as I've never had it do this before and my grip wouldnt suddenly change for this outing.
If any of yall have heard of this or experienced it, I'm all ears. I'm going to give it another whirl and really focus on my grip placement to ensure I'm not somehow suddenly bumping the release...but at this point its going back to Sig.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P.S. The Hi Power is still kicking ass. My holster for it is on its way but wont be here in time for tomorrow's quick road trip so back to the Kimber Super Carry Pro HD I go.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bummer for sure. Shoot it left handed to see if you are touching the mag release. If you are not, it is probably your magazine catch spring. It's a quick fix that SIG is pretty used to.

Which now begs the question .... How many rounds or how many times inserting a mag before the spring needs replaced?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bummer for sure. Shoot it left handed to see if you are touching the mag release. If you are not, it is probably your magazine catch spring. It's a quick fix that SIG is pretty used to.

Which now begs the question .... How many rounds or how many times inserting a mag before the spring needs replaced?

Magazine catch/trigger bar spring - my first thought too. Part No. 37 on the exploded diagram from the owner's manual. It's towards the end of the manual, around pg. 64 or 65.

https://www.sigsauer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/P238-P938.pdf

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have my buddy shoot it (he's a leftie) and see if it does the same to him.
Happened to myself and my friend who was shooting it today so if it happens to the leftie we have a problem.
If not, I have a problem and thats no bueno.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a PF-9 that would do that occasionally. I expected it from a sub $300 KelTec. I kept an extra catch and some extra springs around. I would not expect that issue from a much more expensive Sig.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Little seeds of doubt should go away after a few trips to the range!!! Or am i missing something?? Any piece of machinery that has small explosions in it is going to break sooner or later. Get it fixed, shoot it and see if the problem is fixed, Not trying to cause a problem just want to know your thinking on this Beastep. Sometimes in my infinite "wisdom":cool: I miss sumting . Please share your thoughts.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little seeds of doubt should go away after a few trips to the range!!! Or am i missing something?? Any piece of machinery that has small explosions in it is going to break sooner or later. Get it fixed, shoot it and see if the problem is fixed, Not trying to cause a problem just want to know your thinking on this Beastep. Sometimes in my infinite "wisdom":cool: I miss sumting . Please share your thoughts.

I agree, if you find what is causing the problem, and fix it, and test it out a couple of times...well then, I'd have trust in it again. (If it's a Glock anyway). :bolt:

Latest posts

Top Bottom