Crawdads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best luck I have ever had catfishing Thunderbird was either walking in or boating in to Hog Creek. Our preference was to go when we had 2-4" rain so we could throw on some chest waders and work our way up and down the creek fishing upstream of brush piles and whirlpools with either shad or nightcrawlers. Sometimes I could find a few catalpa worms and they worked as well.

For the time we had a boat available, we would set limb lines in the creek where changes in the bank created a drop in current. We would set jugs around the mouth where it entered the lake.

I finally stopped going as a teenager because I would end up on steroid injections and pills for poison ivy more times than not. They are definitely some of my fondest memories spent with my grandpa and dad. It was like a redneck version of "A River Runs Through It" and I loved every minute of it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have to eat those crawdads as I could not give one away to the fish today.
I soaked them from about 7 AM until 10 AM and began pulling them off and baiting with shad fillets.

Started catching fish then.
I was loaded back up on the trailer by 3:30 and heading home "Limited Out" on catfish caught on SHAD.
Cut bait chunks did not produce , Gizzards did produce.
I had one jug without any weight that had 2 channel cats on. 18" and 20" ones.

No takers on Hotdogs but I will try the garlic and 2 minutes on high in the nuke box.

Cooling off now and then will head outside to start cleaning fish.
Got them all on ice and caught 1 really nice gar.

It swallowed my hook and the Power Pro 100 lb test did not even get frayed.
It had been on for at least 15 minutes as I was watching that jug bob and scoot across the water
for some time.

When I got to it I picked it up and the fish felt tension and made a run for it.
I let the styrofoam jug go and it hit the water and went under and was moving quick.

I had no idea it was a gar. I did find out it was not done running yet :)

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take those hotdogs and cut into 4 pieces.
Put in ziplock bag
Shake a good dose of garlic powder
Spray down with WD-40

Seal bag and set in sun

Bait jugs early and sharpen your filet knife.

Any dead shad, put in the hot dog bag.
Whole or filets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom