Cream of Wheat in revolver loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used filler in rifle loads.

I have not used COW, or grits. I use Dacron (polyester), the material used to stuff toys, pillows, and the like. Dacron is extremely light weight, and very fluffy. It fills space without materially affecting projectile weight - I use .75 to 1 grain at a time.

Awesome idea, I'll try this.
To answer another question, I did not test for accuracy. I will have to make some more and run a proper test for accuracy and velocity. Hopefully my chronograph will cooperate unlike it did today, kept giving me "err" and telling me my 357Mag loads were at 435fps.

Last edited:

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the weight of the COW is added to the weight of the projectile when calculating powder charge.
If you had a hot load before the COW, your load was well over once the heavier projectile (bullet +COW) is considered.
That is much of the reason the recoil was heavier.

Good point. I just pulled out my measure and weighed 1.3cc COW, it came out to 14.3 grains.
With a 255 grain bullet, the extra 14.3 grains represents 5.6% increase in projectile weight. This is not insignificant, but shouldn't have made that much difference.
Something else for me to consider, thank you.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. What's the purpose of the COW?
Is it for an alternate replacement for ...the powder?

Is there a link to where you read up about this?
Sorry, I don't remember where I've read this but it isn't a new thing, old timers have been using fillers for a long time.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Used to use it a lot 30 years ago in 45-70 loads, I just use Dacron now. It's just used to keep the light powder charge on the same end as the primer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom