Critics: 'The Purge' an attack on Tea Party, NRA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I saw it today. It was COMPLETELY unrealistic because the main character has a safe full of guns but not a single Glock? Ugh.

But seriously. We saw it, we rolled our eyes because it was just a bad movie. I don't think it's an attack on conservatives, Tea Partiers or the NRA. It's just one of those movies that takes a traditional trope and executes it poorly.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I saw it today. It was COMPLETELY unrealistic because the main character has a safe full of guns but not a single Glock? Ugh.

But seriously. We saw it, we rolled our eyes because it was just a bad movie. I don't think it's an attack on conservatives, Tea Partiers or the NRA. It's just one of those movies that takes a traditional trope and executes it poorly.

Well since the director and some of the stars have openly stated it is designed as a social commentary on Tea Party and NRA types, I have to disagree with your assessment. However, I guess it is so poorly done that they botched their own intended message. Good.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless it's a Kirk Cameron movie like Fireproof or Courageous, it's obviously an attack on "conservatism" according to that group.
VM - good theoretical talk yet, once again, I'll point out that, in the case of The Purge, the director and Ethan Hawke both said that the movie was intended as social commentary and that the choice of the political movement governing America of the near future was no accident. No need to guess or speculate at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom