Critique my potential build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So as stated in another thread, I'm looking to build a new rifle as a do everything solution for hunting and a little target shooting. My goal is light weight, practicality, and accuracy. I am set up to reload, but haven't begun doing so. I have components for all three of these proposed calibers. I'm interested into hearing thoughts, opinions, experiences with my proposed parts or companies, as well as alternatives that may be better bang for my buck or better quality. I'm also interested in finding out about military discounts on these parts or others I have not considered.

here we go:

Action: Zermatt Bighorn Origin action, with 223 Rem Bolt face.
Trigger: Timney Elite hunter Trigger (Military Discount)
Magazine: AccurateMag AI pattern 223 magazines (Midwest gun works Military Discount)
Barrel options: Preferred Barrel Blanks Bighorn Prefit 223 barrel, stainless steel, #4 sporter contour, 16", 1:8 5R twist, 223 REM Chamber.
Xcaliber bighorn Prefit 16", 223 Wylde Chamber, 1:8 5R twist.
Stock Options: Grayboe Phoenix with Grayboe DBM (possible Military Discount)
KRG Bravo (no dbm needed) (Military Discount)
AG Composites Alpine Hunter with Hawkins M5 DBM (Military Discount)
Stocky's stocks long-range hunter with Hawkins M5 DBM

I do really like APA DBM, but nobody other than Manners seems to offer inletting for it.

In the Future:
762x39
Bighorn 220PPC .4545 Bolt face (Military Discount)
Preferred Barrel Blanks prefit bighorn origin 762x39 barrel, .310 barrel, 16"
AICS 308 magazines (Midwest gun works Military Discount)
Primal Rights AICS magazine Conversion

308 WIN
Bighorn standard bolt face (Military Discount)
Preferred Barrel Blanks prefit bighorn origin 308 barrel, 1:10 twist, 18"
AICS 308 Mags (Midwest gun works Military Discount)

Questions:

How does this all look? Any suggestions for part substitutions? I'm def interested in saving cash or weight where I can.

any Compatibility issues?

With the 762x39 add-on, would you go with the 310 barrel, or try to find a .308 barrel so that I can shoot a wider variety of projectiles, while condensing my 30cal bullet selection down to just 308? Would I be able to maybe use a 308 1:10 barrel and still be able to shoot consumer 762x39 ammo? I do still have a Ruger American Ranch in 762x39 and some AK's, and am a little concerned about complications having to keep the brass seperate.

I'm not settled on my stock options. The KRG represents a big savings over the others, but I'm not sold on them. I like the AG Composites and the Manners options, but the price is rough. Stocky's seems appealing, esp due to the sub 2lb weight and low price, but I don't know much about the quality.

Thanks for any input!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not the best idea if you’re going to buy all that stuff yourself and dump it in the lap of some rifle builder. The good ones like to work with parts they like. After all, they’re the builder, not you
True, but with the prefit shouldered barrels and the already worked action, I would be able to just put it all together myself, assuming I picked up headspacing gauges, an action wrench, and a barrel vice. Do you think I could save some cash ordering my parts through a builder/smith rather than direct.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well. You’d get a true blueprinted rifle build. Save cash? No; your plan of building it yourself is the cheapest for sure. I didn’t realize that’s what your plan was. 👍

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might want to ask this question over on the 'Hide if you can withstand a few of the egos.

I've got a Grayboe stock on my factory Bergara Premier Approach...it is fairly nice, but it is not as close to a McMillan as one might think. There was enough flex in mine that I could grab the barrel and stock in one hand and get them to touch by squeezing. Fortunately (🙄) my action inlet was off far enough that the barrel was just a few thousandths from contacting the fore end of the stock anyway...so I hogged everything out and bedded the action, which fixed both problems.

I've never liked the looks of the KRG Bravo, but it fit my firing hand well, and that goes a long way. In fact, choosing a stock without getting to get behind it is one of the biggest crap shoots in putting a rifle together. Have you ever gone to a local PRS natch and asked to see someone's rifle? It may seem wierd, but most shooters know exactly what you're going through and would be happy to assist.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might want to ask this question over on the 'Hide if you can withstand a few of the egos.

I've got a Grayboe stock on my factory Bergara Premier Approach...it is fairly nice, but it is not as close to a McMillan as one might think. There was enough flex in mine that I could grab the barrel and stock in one hand and get them to touch by squeezing. Fortunately (🙄) my action inlet was off far enough that the barrel was just a few thousandths from contacting the fore end of the stock anyway...so I hogged everything out and bedded the action, which fixed both problems.

I've never liked the looks of the KRG Bravo, but it fit my firing hand well, and that goes a long way. In fact, choosing a stock without getting to get behind it is one of the biggest crap shoots in putting a rifle together. Have you ever gone to a local PRS natch and asked to see someone's rifle? It may seem wierd, but most shooters know exactly what you're going through and would be happy to assist.
That’s what I need to do now, find a few stocks to hold and play with.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s what I need to do now, find a few stocks to hold and play with.

I recently had a barreled action done up on one of my FN SPRs by Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles LLC. He used to work at Surgeon, but now has his own little shop tucked up near the AR border (my neck of the woods). He's always got a dozen builds going on, with close to that many stocks on hand. It is how I have been able to get a feel for a few newer stocks, and found that while they have a great reputation...nothing from Foundation fits my firing hand quite right.

Depending on how close you are to a big city store that carries a few higher end rifles, you could always do a little window shopping too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom