Current Lawsuits and the NFA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been watching the lawsuit on the bump stock ban for some time, and now the lawsuits on this pistol brace fiasco. It seems like they all have a good chance at weakening the NFA if they reach the supreme court, seeing as they're all primarily about regulation of firearm accessories. On top of that, the current justices seem more than willing to take the right case that can apply to a broad spectrum of issues.

I'm curious what everyone else's thoughts are on this. I have a trust set up and a few suppressors on my list, but I've been holding off on buying anything to see how things play out.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're waiting to save money, don't. It'll just push off an already long wait as well. Suppressors are not accessories, they are serialized and strictly controlled. While I'd love to see the NFA registry go away, I really don't see them giving up that cash cow anytime soon.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're waiting to save money, don't. It'll just push off an already long wait as well. Suppressors are not accessories, they are serialized and strictly controlled. While I'd love to see the NFA registry go away, I really don't see them giving up that cash cow anytime soon.
It's crazy that in Europe of all places accessories is pretty much what they are considered. Should definitely be that here as well.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think folks would pay a little more if they'd open the transferrable registry back up?
I don't foresee that happening either. First, that was a law passed by congress making it highly unlikely to change, even with court rulings against it. Second, the people who currently own them, the money, would fight against it tooth and nail because their investments will lose value over night.

Mats

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They aren't currently considered accessories, but with so many out now I feel like we're entering common use territory. It also seems like opinions are changing around them. States that banned them before are starting to allow them, even if just for hunting. And I don't see the entire NFA going away either, but I do wonder if parts of it may get invalidated.

I'll probably start the paperwork for at least one now. I have a little .22 Beretta that's just perfect for a can.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't foresee that happening either. First, that was a law passed by congress making it highly unlikely to change, even with court rulings against it. Second, the people who currently own them, the money, would fight against it tooth and nail because their investments will lose value over night.
They're welcome to fight against it . . . . I can understand why they would. I'd imagine the majority of gun owners wouldn't fight against it because we didn't invest previously.

Mats

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're welcome to fight against it . . . . I can understand why they would. I'd imagine the majority of gun owners wouldn't fight against it because we didn't invest previously.
Funny how often the gun community ends up fighting itself. But I understand why someone wouldn't want that immediate depreciation on their collection. Although, with some of those guns being collectible anyways they may not lose as much value as they think.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny how often the gun community ends up fighting itself. But I understand why someone wouldn't want that immediate depreciation on there collection. Although, with some of those guns being collectible anyways they may not lose as much value as they think.
Yep.

Latest posts

Top Bottom