Custom Gun Shop!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
after many discussions this morning with various influential people, they all said DON'T SELL, so I am going to take their advice and keep doing what I do.
I'm glad to hear this. I've always enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your pics of the various custom guns you've created over the years. I admire your knowledge, experience, and talent, and hope you'll hang around for a few more years anyway.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear this. I've always enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your pics of the various custom guns you've created over the years. I admire your knowledge, experience, and talent, and hope you'll hang around for a few more years anyway.

I appreciate that, and will for at least a few more years.

Not sure how many knew or remember Jack Rowe, but after he and I got aquainted, he showed me some of the tricks of his trade, and for sharing his knowledge with me, I would take him carp fishing of all things. He showed me how to make and replace firing pins and springs in double guns that cost more than a lot of people's yearly wage! I still have some of his old customers to this day, and he is sorely missed.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about a local landmark, but instead of letting good equipment sit unused, I'm going to make "5" barrels a month and offer them on a first come first serve basis. All barrels will be air gaged and listed as Match Grade before being offered. All barrels will be turned to 1.200" with a maximum finish length of 26" in 416R stainless steel only.

March - 7mm / 1-10" twist rate

April - 308 / 1-10" twist rate

May - 6.5 / 1-9" twist rate

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about a local landmark, but instead of letting good equipment sit unused, I'm going to make "5" barrels a month and offer them on a first come first serve basis. All barrels will be air gaged and listed as Match Grade before being offered. All barrels will be turned to 1.200" with a maximum finish length of 26" in 416R stainless steel only.

March - 7mm / 1-10" twist rate

April - 308 / 1-10" twist rate

May - 6.5 / 1-9" twist rate
What platform?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis,

they can be used on several different platforms, that would accept a bull barrel. Mostly single shots and bolt actions. I however will NOT going to get into contouring barrels, been there done that!

Against all powers that be, I made a single barrel yesterday/last, night from beginning to end, starting with a piece of 20 ft. bar stock and finishing up with lead lapping the bore after everything else in between!

Cut, drilled, reamed, bored, rifled, ground finished, stress relieved, air gaged, lead lapped and faced on both ends! Finished diameter is 1.200" @ 27".

The barrel has a slight gold tint to it from the heat of stress relieving, but it will polish to a fine mirror finish!

This barrel is in 7mm and will go on a T/C Encore with the barrel remaining full diameter and cut back to 25" plus the addition of a muzzle brake. A friend from Muskogee has requested this, and has given me permission to post pictures of it when completed.

Chambering will be in my 7mm-444 Improved.

20200304_095456.jpeg

20200304_095619.jpeg

20200304_095733.jpeg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Dennis,

they can be used on several different platforms, that would accept a bull barrel. Mostly single shots and bolt actions. I however will NOT going to get into contouring barrels, been there done that!

Against all powers that be, I made a single barrel yesterday/last, night from beginning to end, starting with a piece of 20 ft. bar stock and finishing up with lead lapping the bore after everything else in between!

Cut, drilled, reamed, bored, rifled, ground finished, stress relieved, air gaged, lead lapped and faced on both ends! Finished diameter is 1.200" @ 27".

The barrel has a slight gold tint to it from the heat of stress relieving, but it will polish to a fine mirror finish!

This barrel is in 7mm and will go on a T/C Encore with the barrel remaining full diameter and cut back to 25" plus the addition of a muzzle brake. A friend from Muskogee has requested this, and has given me permission to post pictures of it when completed.

Chambering will be in my 7mm-444 Improved.

View attachment 155566

View attachment 155567

View attachment 155568
I was a machinist in my younger days and this kind of thing facinates me. I would absolutely love to learn how to make barrels. I wish you were closer. [emoji4]

Latest posts

Top Bottom