Custom holster by me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the way you made it flat on the body side of the holster. That increases comfort and ads nice boning to the outside.

Very, very nice work young man. :thumb::thumb:

Making them flat on the body side, or off-set stitching, I believe it's called, seems to be the thing these days among holster makers. I have one on order from TT Gunleather beoing made that way that may even be delivered later today. As far as boning, I don't see any boning on the outside of the OP's holster; the basket stamping would pretty much cover that up anyway, don't you think? Now don't get me wrong, the American Tactical Import 1911's have nice lines, as does any 1911, which would make hand boning/molding stand out nicely. I also like the contrast the white thread shows; I like white against brown, cordovan or mahogany colored leather especially. For black; I'd stay with black. I would like to see a double row of stitching though; especially around the inside of the body where it sets up against the pistol and around the belt slots. That would really make it pop, or look great, as well as adding strength.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct about the "boning". It's bout impossible to build a molded holster with tooling on it. You need the leather pretty flat to tool and if you tool it before molding you would mess up the design "boning" in all your pistol detail.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as double stitching, I can sure do it if the customer asks and I do double stitch some heavy use projects. As far as adding strength, it would, but I highly doubt it would need it in this case. But hey thanks for the input.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1290.JPG
IMG_1291.JPG

Here's the first pattern I was making in this style with some boning around the trigger guard and ejection port.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stitching color, to me, really depends on the leather color. I recently had a custom rifle sling made for a Christmas gift from some Cape Buffalo leather I had. When it was first tanned, they tanned it brown instead of black like I told them. I raised cain and they re-tanned it black. It came out with a kind of green cast to it ... odd. When he made the sling, he used a deep burgundy thread, and it came out beautiful! Never woulda' thunk it. I should have taken some pics before I gave it away!

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stitching color, to me, really depends on the leather color. I recently had a custom rifle sling made for a Christmas gift from some Cape Buffalo leather I had. When it was first tanned, they tanned it brown instead of black like I told them. I raised cain and they re-tanned it black. It came out with a kind of green cast to it ... odd. When he made the sling, he used a deep burgundy thread, and it came out beautiful! Never woulda' thunk it. I should have taken some pics before I gave it away!
My wife has an elephant hide that's kinda blueish. She has a wildebeest that's kinda burgundy. Then several exotic print hides of every color known dang near.

Latest posts

Top Bottom