Custom Knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've been on the fence for a while about getting a custom knife. Something like a hunter and skinner set. A buddy of mine has a couple sets of Mccroskeys and they seem like top of the line quality. The prices however, are holding me back. I know handmade custom orders take a lot of hard work and are difficult to make. But are they worth it?

Those of you who have custom knives can you share your thoughts and opinions please? Craftsmanship, hold an edge good, maker, and photos and whatever else you can add?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a lot of custom knives by many makers, Sawby, Engelbretson, Helton, McCroskey, etc. In my opinion, there's nothing like them. Beautiful works of art that are highly functional. The makers of these would probably be offended that I don't use most of them as intended. I do use some. You just have to take it for what it is, a high end tool. Use it. I have a By George knife that I have used to skin 3 deer and completely process one deer. It will still shave. Just unbelievable quality.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The next deer that my daughter or I harvest, will be deer number 8 that my McCrosky Elk will have field dressed, skinned and processed without "sharpening". 5 swipes on each side on the leather strap after each deer and it's ready again. It's the only custom I've owned, so I can't really compare, I've got really no reason to try another one though.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son and I have several McCroskey's and have had some of them for over 25 years. My oldest knife has gutted,skinned, cut sternums and cut up 8 deer before needing to be touched up a bit. I did not say it was dull and had to be resharpened, just buffed to adjust the bevel. This is a testament to the quality of a fine tool. Oh, and lifetime free sharpening too. You should expect the price to be comparable to the quality. You do not expect that a custom knife will take a couple of hours to build. It is an investment that may last a lifetime. My elk knife has only been resharpened maybe 4 times and I hunt deer and elk every year. How am I able to say this? I buff them occasionally on my paper wheels to maintain the bevel. Cabela's approached Dave to have him build knives for them. They were going to sell for $600.00 apiece and Dave turned them down flat because he wanted the blades to be affordable and in the hands of working men and women. The only knife harder than Dave's is a ceramic that I am aware of as the metal Rockwell's well over 60. IMO his knives are inexpensive compared to the quality. My hands have not touched a Buck, Gerber, Case knife after buying my first McCroskey. We have 5 plus my bride has had a set of kitchen knives from Dave for 4 years and they have never been buffed and they still shave. She is so proud of them. You don't mess with her knives, that's for dang sure. A quality custom knife is a lifetime investment. My knives will be given to my grandson some day to live on in other hunts. I am, in no way, talking down ANY other custom knife maker. I am just expressing my experiences with Dave's quality since he began building knives 25 or so years ago. BTW, many people do not know this but he has built custom surgical knives for some doctor's operating rooms. My $.02

Reaction score
Mine are made by Ernie Grospitch and Billy Watson...works of art and working knives. The drop point has seen the most critter action and still as sharp as ever. Patch knife from Billy runs a close 2nd. :wink2:

Top knife is the "Kansas Bowie"...Ernie Grospich, second is the "French Longknife...Billy Watson, third is my drop point...Ernie Grospitch and bottom is my patch knife...Billy Watson.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kind of a knife hoarder and have a bunch including a few Menefee's, Millers, and Doziers, and I guess I'll have to try a McCrosky now.:thumb:

I'm a hoarder too. Here are some of my customs. (Some of these are semi-production or high end production knives)

IMG_4005.JPG
IMG_4006.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom