Cutting off a shotgun barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The easy and correct way to measure the barrel for cutting is to close the action/bolt on an empty chamber, drop a rod down the barrel and mark it at the muzzle. Measure from the end of the rod to the mark you made and you have the "legal" length of the barrel. Minimum length is 18" (as stated by shadowrider and mac)........if you want it cut to minimum length, start out by cutting it slightly longer so you have room to clean it up and square the muzzle.

Tubing cutters don't typically work all that well because the barrel is tapered and the tubing cutter is made to cut non tapered tubing. As Mac said, a tubing cutter will also distort the muzzle. A hacksaw, saws-all or an abrasive saw work, a lathe works best.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, there is some misinformation in this thread that needs to be corrected.
18" is the minimum length. I didn't look it up. My mistake. Mine is 19 1/8".
As far as the barrels being tapered, they are to a certain length beyond the chamber for strength. In the pic, I have my 19 1/8" and my trap barrel which is full choke. The taper stops at the front of the forearm. Its consistent within .001 +/- from that point to the muzzle on both barrels using calibrated Browne and Sharpe digital calipers that are the standard in measurement. I can verify with starrett mikes if anyone wishes.

5c5cca038fbf745445789094f94c422f.jpg

Yes it's actually 18"
I just prefer 20" for a smooth cylinder bore for that slight bit of extra knock down power.
Depending on the powder. A fast burn powder will be done in the first 16-18". Using a slow burning shotgun powder in a short barrel will not give any greater velocity, but will produce a whole lot more muzzle flash. I've played with this in the past since I reload shotshells on an RCBS Grand.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you do yours yourself Dennis I would text but it’s Friday and queen night lol
I didn't do mine at the time I needed to shorten it. But wouldn't be against doing it at home. My old lathe would do it great, but the throat on the new lathe may be too small. I'll check it tomorrow.
Your correct, it was queen night, and she will not tolerate texts or calls.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree.

I've yet to see a full choke and open choke with the same outside dimensions at the end of the barrel. :drunk2:
My full choke barrel outside dimension measures. .838 to .8395 depending on where I measure it from the forearm to the barrel.
The sawed off barrel measures .835 to .834 in its length from the forearm.
The internal dimensions would be more important than the external. I spent enough time in machine shops and have a small machine shop at home to know that a thousands of an inch variation in a barrel over that length is not out of the question.

Latest posts

Top Bottom