Cutting off a shotgun barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As already pointed out, 18" is the LEGAL length for a shotgun barrel. I always prefer to go over that length, as for the most part, on a vent rib barrel, the rib posts are very seldom at 18" anyways. I cut one of my vent rib 870 barrels back last week, and the closest rib made the finish length 18 3/4" and I'm perfectly fine with that!

And if anyone is interested, I charge $20 to cut-off and face-off a shotgun barrel in the lathe, so the muzzle is cut perfectly square with the bore...

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Despite Dennis' measurements and statement to the contrary, I have cut off a few shotguns barrels and they WERE tapered........I tried using a tubing cutter and it walked toward the muzzle as it was turned because the barrel was tapered.......been there, done that.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only one I've cut off was an old Iver Johnson (Lol, "Arms and Cycle Works"), and a tubing cutter tracked ok on it by being careful. However, there was very little taper because it was an open choke. I'm thinkin' a full choke would be a different story. :drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Despite Dennis' measurements and statement to the contrary, I have cut off a few shotguns barrels and they WERE tapered........I tried using a tubing cutter and it walked toward the muzzle as it was turned because the barrel was tapered.......been there, done that.
I'm more than happy to meet with anybody with the measurement device of your choice to measure the diameter of my Rem 1100 shotgun barrels. You won't find your devices measure any different than mine.
I've used a tubing cutter on tubing and had it walk because it wasn't properly used.
I'm not disputing your experience with unknown barrels of what manufacturer, but I'm saying my 1100 barrels are not tapered beyond the forearm a short distance. Behind the forearm they are tapered.
What taper are you experiencing? Taper per inch?
I've got some model 12 win, Italian shotguns, and some fancy classic european double shotguns I'll measure in a day or so out of curiosity.

Last edited:

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm more than happy to meet with anybody with the measurement device of your choice to measure the diameter of my Rem 1100 shotgun barrels. You won't find your devices measure any different than mine.
I've used a tubing cutter on tubing and had it walk because it wasn't properly used.
I'm not disputing your experience with unknown barrels of what manufacturer, but I'm saying my 1100 barrels are not tapered beyond the forearm a short distance. Behind the forearm they are tapered.
What taper are you experiencing? Taper per inch?
I've got some model 12 win, Italian shotguns, and some fancy classic european double shotguns I'll measure in a day or so out of curiosity.

I have no doubt that the barrels you measured are not tapered to any significant degree, just pointing out that, in my experience, at least some shotgun barrels are, in fact, tapered.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These threads always turn into silly arguments over dumb crap. Hacksaw, cut off wheel on a hand held grinder, band saw, lathe, chop saw, tubing cutter.....there are many correct ways to cut a shotgun barrel. I've done it with a hacksaw and also with a tubing cutter. Both required some clean up with files and sand paper. I prefer the tubing cutter method, but you have to start slow to prevent creep and you also have to tighten the cutter in tiny increments or you'll smoosh the barrel into a funnel shape. (I know because I did it) If you take your time you can make the barrel look pretty nice and a dab of cold blue really finishes off the cut end. Drilling and tapping for a new bead is kind of a pain in the azz because finding the top of the barrel is difficult without a proper jig/fixture, but it can be done.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These threads always turn into silly arguments over dumb crap. Hacksaw, cut off wheel on a hand held grinder, band saw, lathe, chop saw, tubing cutter.....there are many correct ways to cut a shotgun barrel.

I prefer to use a Pocket Weasel... nothing works better.... :rotflmao:

images

Latest posts

Top Bottom