Cutting vs swaging primer crimps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done both swage and cut.
The swaging works well if one will sort by headstamp first. After that, it's very fast.

Cutting is not quite as fast as swaging, but counting the time for not sorting by headstamp it's probably a push.
I wear a lightweight rubber coated glove to hold the brass when utting, it helps a lot.

One thing; cutting is easier to recognize after firing, so sorting range pickup is quicker if you cut the crimp.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cutting is harder on your hands. I had a Dillon Super Swage it worked good. Mechanical swagging requires a good amount of force and it needs to be mounted firmly. I sold my Super Swage after going to a Lee APP. I have the gen 1 swage kit. It has some quirks. They have a new version they came out with that is redesigned and aligns the brass on the backing rod that removes the need to have the neck opened. I will buy one of them when I find one. Looks like the cats meow.

Last edited:

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started out using a phillips screw driver bit in my drill for 223 rounds - then found a broken center drill [for use with a metal lathe] that works better/faster - just have to be careful not to cut too much - I have never had a round spit out a primer

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swaging doesnt remove brass which is very good. Cutting removes brass which can be bad. The RCBS swaging takes some tedious setup and can be hard to get right but it is the best way. Its just not the fastest way.
I’d argue that some in that chamfering is better for seating primers consistently and with better feel. That opinion is from hand priming a bunch of 223 and 308. And the amount of brass removed is really unmeasurable without a 4 place analytical balance

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was doing brass I tried both swagging and cutting. Using the RCBS swagging setup I had complaints that it was hard to seat the primers correctly. Tried a few other methods and finally settled on a Lee Primer pocket tool in my RCBS prep station. The Lee is designed for hand use so using in a drill turns it to fast so is easy to mess up. The prep station turned at a lower speed and it was easy to feel when the cutter bottomed out. Plus I could put the small cutter in one sport and the large in another.

Seems Hornady is making one now. I do not know if the cutters will screw into the prep station or not.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012762394?pid=804809

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1458277820?pid=565099

Rayce

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased the new hornady case prep center. It definitely makes cutting the crimps out of .223 brass much easier due to the sheer size of the unit. It will take up some room. But the one time handling of the brass once it has been sized is really nice.

I have a Dillion super swager, it does work nice also, as long as the brass is all the same length.

As with any tool, you must find what works for your setup.

Preparing brass will wear your hands regardless of the tools you use. It is just part of the gig.

Latest posts

Top Bottom