Cylinder Endshake bearings for a K frame Mod 66-1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up a Model 66-1 today. GREAT PISTOL. Anyone know where to get some End shake bearings for a k frame locally? I need to run a feeler gauge to see how much endshake Ive got, but I know there is too much play at the cylinder. You can see from the pics that it’s been shot without the bearings in place. Thanks.
CA4811E3-B45C-4E79-AAD4-1F60834433C2.png
328EEAA4-91D1-450D-A37C-F9C41C29556A.png

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They don't come with bearings
If your talking endshake shims I probably have some here in tulsa or you can go old school (before power custom shims) and stretch the shaft with a tubing cutter.
Probably need to cut a long forcing cone
and run a lewis lead remover thru it.
While your at it put in a new cylinder crane screw so the crane isn't moving back and forth.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They don't come with bearings
If your talking endshake shims I probably have some here in tulsa or you can go old school (before power custom shims) and stretch the shaft with a tubing cutter.
Probably need to cut a long forcing cone
and run a lewis lead remover thru it.
While your at it put in a new cylinder crane screw so the crane isn't moving back and forth.
Good advice. Thanks sir.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've worked on two older Smiths (29-2 and 629 no dash) with both cylinder and yoke endshake issues. I am not sure about local sources that have this stuff on hand...but a bearing kit from Power Custom (they are just shims a thousandth or two thick) was all that I needed to get my revolvers back just about to new.

Best of luck to you.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've worked on two older Smiths (29-2 and 629 no dash) with both cylinder and yoke endshake issues. I am not sure about local sources that have this stuff on hand...but a bearing kit from Power Custom (they are just shims a thousandth or two thick) was all that I needed to get my revolvers back just about to new.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you. I actually found some at a gun smith near where my folks live. I am up here helping to build fence. Just happened to hear about the guy and called him. He actually had what I was after. I got 2 .004, and 2 .002 for $12.00. Now if I ever make it home to work on the darn thing g I’ll be good to go. Lol.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you. I actually found some at a gun smith near where my folks live. I am up here helping to build fence. Just happened to hear about the guy and called him. He actually had what I was after. I got 2 .004, and 2 .002 for $12.00. Now if I ever make it home to work on the darn thing g I’ll be good to go. Lol.

Good luck, and I hope your 66-1 turns into a great shooter!

I made my first ever mistake on Gunbroker by purchasing a 66-1 that was advertised as having a TT and TH. Thinking it was rare, and wanting a P&R 66 I bought it...

...Turns out somebody had managed to grind a case hardened N-Frame trigger and hammer down to where it fit in the frame. My first double action pull was smooth as could be...tried it in SA, and noticed 1/8" of play before the hammer dropped. Oops.

Got the necessary parts off of Gunbroker and put it back together in original configuration. Gave it to dad a few years back as a Christmas present and it is an absolute laser. He loves it, and that was where I got my start in S&W revolver gunsmithing. Win/win I guess, but I never want to go that route again.

My 629 no-dash was advertised as 98%. The outside was, but it had been shot a ton and was pretty loose. I think it has a .002 shim in both the cylinder and yoke IIRC. It shoots great, but I keep the heavy magnums for my other .44s.

I'm sure you know, but just in case: the extractor rods on Smiths unscrew clockwise (backwards). Don't want to have to replace one of those too.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck, and I hope your 66-1 turns into a great shooter!

I made my first ever mistake on Gunbroker by purchasing a 66-1 that was advertised as having a TT and TH. Thinking it was rare, and wanting a P&R 66 I bought it...

...Turns out somebody had managed to grind a case hardened N-Frame trigger and hammer down to where it fit in the frame. My first double action pull was smooth as could be...tried it in SA, and noticed 1/8" of play before the hammer dropped. Oops.

Got the necessary parts off of Gunbroker and put it back together in original configuration. Gave it to dad a few years back as a Christmas present and it is an absolute laser. He loves it, and that was where I got my start in S&W revolver gunsmithing. Win/win I guess, but I never want to go that route again.

My 629 no-dash was advertised as 98%. The outside was, but it had been shot a ton and was pretty loose. I think it has a .002 shim in both the cylinder and yoke IIRC. It shoots great, but I keep the heavy magnums for my other .44s.

I'm sure you know, but just in case: the extractor rods on Smiths unscrew clockwise (backwards). Don't want to have to replace one of those too.
I finally managed to make it home this afternoon. I measured the end shake at 10 thousandths. I took it all apart and put in a .004 and a .002. (So .006), Leaving .004 cylinder gap according to specs. The darn thing is tight and right now! I am in love. The cylinder “was” hard to open. It opens perfectly now. The old girl is smooth and sexy. I am super pleased.

Thanks for the information and your post. I’m glad your Dad likes the firearm. You just can’t go wrong with a good Smith revolver. I have a Model 29 as well. It is my pride and joy! I cut my teeth on Smith revolvers as a youngster and have always loved them.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally managed to make it home this afternoon. I measured the end shake at 10 thousandths. I took it all apart and put in a .004 and a .002. (So .006), Leaving .004 cylinder gap according to specs. The darn thing is tight and right now! I am in love. The cylinder “was” hard to open. It opens perfectly now. The old girl is smooth and sexy. I am super pleased.

Thanks for the information and your post. I’m glad your Dad likes the firearm. You just can’t go wrong with a good Smith revolver. I have a Model 29 as well. It is my pride and joy! I cut my teeth on Smith revolvers as a youngster and have always loved them.

That is great to hear!

Latest posts

Top Bottom