CZ 457 range review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've wanted a CZ .22 LR since the 455 series with the interchangeable barrels came out. I waited too long and could have gotten a better deal a while back, but found a not horrible deal on a new 457 in .17 hmr and pulled the trigger (ha!). And it's pointless without the conversion kits, so I ordered the .22 LR and .22 Magnum kits, and took all of it to the range today to shake it out.

The conversion kit comes with a barrel and magazine for the specific caliber, and tools to remove the stock and barrel screws. I got to get a screwdriver shaped tool for the stock screws (I think it's a torx driver), the "L" shaped tool doesn't cut it. The allen wrench is fine for the barrel screws. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to change the barrel.

I was using a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 scope set at 7 power.

Everything shot real well at 50 yards. All three barrels, every kind of ammo I tried. I didn't try a wide variety, but had some Hornady in .17 hmr and .22 magnum, and some Aquila, some Eley, and some RWS in .22 LR. Groups under 1 inch were easy, and understand the sight in my right eye isn't great, so some of you would have done better.

The .22 magnum and .17 hmr did real well at 100 yards, around 2 inches without a lot of effort. I think that's about as well as I can shoot. The .22 LR barrel was very mediocre with the Aquila and Eley ammo, bullet drop was probably about 12 inches and groups were in the 5-6 inch range, but the RWS ammo, while it dropped about that much grouped closer to about 2 inches. So I think the gun is capable of excellent accuracy, with better ammo and a better shooter. :)

I thought how awesome it would be if you could swap barrels and the scope still be sighted in. I didn't expect that, but wouldn't it be the bees knees?? Well, it doesn't, but it wasn't WAY off... it was usually within about 3-4 inches at 50 yards.

I have the CZ American with the Turkish Walnut stock, and it's a very nice, classic looking rifle. Not cheap, usually they're around $599 but I found one online for $519 so I went ahead. You can get the conversion kits from CZ-USA for as low as $139. BTW, customer service at CZ-USA is AWESOME.

I like this little rifle... it's a significant investment, but it's really three guns if you want to go that direction.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought the 457 Jaguar and love it!

dN5KY5q.jpg

mlBqJyX.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom