CZ 75B SA makeover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up the CZ 75B SA in the photos below nearly two months ago in trade. Didn't notice until after trading that the factory polycoat had a few issues, especially around the rear sight where the finish was bubbled from being heated when the Novak rear sight was installed and the vice was apparently not padded well enough. BTW...don't inspect firearms in the dark if you are anal about cosmetic condition. ;)

8BwN2hzh.jpg

X6IQwrKh.jpg

bBUDFDkh.jpg

zXhjPBWh.jpg

6UbaPOLh.jpg

i9Hq4cZh.jpg

Upon several recommendations, I had the stripped frame and slide refinished at Black Label Armament. Finally got the slide and frame back from cerakote last Tuesday. There were some issues with the first attempt at coating the slide so it had to be stripped and recoated a second time. The slide is coated in graphite black and the frame in burnt bronze. The sights and controls were not refinished. IMO the cerakote looks much nicer than the factory polycoat did, but it doesn't appear to be any more resistant to wear. After 200 rounds through the pistol there are many small chips that have already developed in the ejection port area that are down to bare metal. Not sure if this is normal if using brass cased ammo.

All of the upgrade parts were purchased from CZ Custom. The factory SA trigger was swapped for a straight / flat faced profile version with pre-travel and over-travel adjustments. The factory ringed hammer was swapped for a standard height / width competition hammer. The sear was replaced with a pre-B sear in order to delete the firing pin block. My brother did all of the fitting and action work and the trigger weighs in at 3 lbs 4 oz with stock springs still installed. All in all, I'm pleased with how the pistol turned out. I have been wanting a first generation Shadow for years, but this fits the bill nicely. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a Kadet 2 kit sometime in the near future as well.

9zoa8BMh.jpg

8A04jyPh.jpg

Last edited:

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's looking good to me. i finished fitting the Kadet adapter today. from memory the Kadet adapter needs a different take down pin on the 9mm, i think a new one comes with all the pins required tho

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's looking good to me. i finished fitting the Kadet adapter today. from memory the Kadet adapter needs a different take down pin on the 9mm, i think a new one comes with all the pins required tho

You are absolutely right. There will be a 22LR marked slide stop that's included in the newer kits. I'm assuming that the original slide stop works fine, but doesn't lock the slide open like the 22LR stop will.

How much fitting did your kit require? Just some light stoning on the tabs?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what did that run you? My son has a Feg Hipower he wants to refinish.

It was $150 to do the slide and frame ($75 each). That included removal and reinstallation of the sights.

Luke. That CZ looks beautiful. I have a soft spot for CZ pistols. You did a great job with that one.

Thanks Rick. I tried to make it look like a CGW Copperhead SA build. I'd like to handle one of their pistols to see if the action feels much different.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. There will be a 22LR marked slide stop that's included in the newer kits. I'm assuming that the original slide stop works fine, but doesn't lock the slide open like the 22LR stop will.

How much fitting did your kit require? Just some light stoning on the tabs?

yep, stoning which in retrospect it really didn't need. no harm, no foul

Latest posts

Top Bottom