CZ-97B Warped Factory Plastic Recoil Spring Guide Rod ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I've had a brand new CZ-97B sitting in the box for a while. It is the old model 97-B with wood grips. Today I decided to field strip it, lube it up, and get it ready for the range next week. When I disassembled it I found the factory stock plastic recoil spring guide rod to be badly warped in a bowed position.

The slide racked OK out of the box. But after I field stripped it to lube everything up, (the gun was filthy and dry as a bone from the factory), and reassembled it, I couldn't get the slide to rack. It was binding up after it went back an inch or so. I had to take off the slide and rotate the recoil spring and guide rod so the "bow" in the guide rod went up into the slide, instead of down toward the dust cover like I had it. With the bow in the rod pointing down it seemed to be causing an interference issue. The slide then racked as it should.

The bottom line here is that I'm not at all satisfied with the cheap, warped, flimsy plastic guide rod supplied with this pistol. I'm almost afraid to shoot it, for fear the guide rod will rotate 180 degrees through firing, and tie up the gun. Or possibly even damage something. I can't be the only guy that has had this condition develop with this gun, and it's factory stock, flimsy plastic guide rod. So I'm considering purchasing a Stainless Steel Guide Rod like this one from Cajun Gun Works.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/stainless-steel-guide-rod-97bbd-tactical-sport/

Has anyone else had this issue with their CZ-97-B? And have you gone to a Stainless Steel Guide Rod as a solution? Is there a downside to going to a steel guide rod? I'm thinking this is nothing but an easy parts swap. There isn't any "fitting" so to speak. And the Stainless Steel Guide Rod will not warp and deform like the cheap plastic factory model has. I can't believe a premier gun company like CZ would supply a pistol like this with such a cheap, flimsy part from the factory. Thoughts?

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a brand new CZ-97B sitting in the box for a while. It is the old model 97-B with wood grips. Today I decided to field strip it, lube it up, and get it ready for the range next week. When I disassembled it I found the factory stock plastic recoil spring guide rod to be badly warped in a bowed position.

The slide racked OK out of the box. But after I field stripped it to lube everything up, (the gun was filthy and dry as a bone from the factory), and reassembled it, I couldn't get the slide to rack. It was binding up after it went back an inch or so. I had to take off the slide and rotate the recoil spring and guide rod so the "bow" in the guide rod went up into the slide, instead of down toward the dust cover like I had it. With the bow in the rod pointing down it seemed to be causing an interference issue. The slide then racked as it should.

The bottom line here is that I'm not at all satisfied with the cheap, warped, flimsy plastic guide rod supplied with this pistol. I'm almost afraid to shoot it, for fear the guide rod will rotate 180 degrees through firing, and tie up the gun. Or possibly even damage something. I can't be the only guy that has had this condition develop with this gun, and it's factory stock, flimsy plastic guide rod. So I'm considering purchasing a Stainless Steel Guide Rod like this one from Cajun Gun Works.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/stainless-steel-guide-rod-97bbd-tactical-sport/

Has anyone else had this issue with their CZ-97-B? And have you gone to a Stainless Steel Guide Rod as a solution? Is there a downside to going to a steel guide rod? I'm thinking this is nothing but an easy parts swap. There isn't any "fitting" so to speak. And the Stainless Steel Guide Rod will not warp and deform like the cheap plastic factory model has. I can't believe a premier gun company like CZ would supply a pistol like this with such a cheap, flimsy part from the factory. Thoughts?
Mines a week old, but I will field strip it and take a look at it

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's weird, but I guess it goes to show it doesn't matter the brand you can always get one with something wrong. Usually from what I've read on here and other reviews CZs are good to go.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have a total of 8 CZ pistols in various configurations. Many have plastic guide rods. This is the first one where the rod itself warped, causing an issue. I E-Mailed Cajun Gun Works, and they replied quickly, and explained their Stainless Steel Guide Rod I linked to, is indeed a simple drop in fit. So I went ahead and ordered one. No way Stainless Steel is going to warp.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I E-Mailed Cajun Gun Works, and they replied back quickly. They told me this is a somewhat common problem with the stock polymer guide rod on CZ-97's. But it usually doesn't cause any problems. The stock guide rod is very short, and it allows the recoil spring to bow and bunch up by design. So I ordered the Stainless Steel guide rod that I have a link to in my first post.

The fact this gun sat in my safe for several years, (since 2012), also didn't help by allowing the guide rod to "take a set" in a bowed position. This can't and won't happen with a steel guide rod. They informed me these Stainless Steel guide rods are a drop in fit, and require no fitting or gunsmithing to install. I'll report back once I get it.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a total of 8 CZ pistols in various configurations. Many have plastic guide rods. This is the first one where the rod itself warped, causing an issue. I E-Mailed Cajun Gun Works, and they replied quickly, and explained their Stainless Steel Guide Rod I linked to, is indeed a simple drop in fit. So I went ahead and ordered one. No way Stainless Steel is going to warp.

If you have the coin, you might give thought to up grading all plastic rods.. Then you can sing Akuna matata..

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My Stainless Steel guide rod for my CZ-97B from Cajun Gun Works will be arriving Monday. I'll install it and hopefully get it to the range by the end of next week. If everything goes well, I'll certainly consider upgrading several of my other CZ's to steel guide rods as well.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My new Stainless Steel Guide Rod arrived a few minutes ago from Cajun Gun Works. It took all of 2 minutes to install, and fits perfectly. Tomorrow it's off to the range. This is why I don't like plastic guide rods. This is inexcusable on a brand new firearm.

SxMIYZa.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom