CZ Scorpion vs AR 15 pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have a CZ scorpion rifle with the fake suppressor on the end. I love this rifle but have been debating on whether to get rid of it and get an AR pistol with a brace. It will primarily be a HD gun or a weapon for my wife if something terrible ever happens. The scorpion would be a great rifle for her but I would like something shorter and with more power. Is this a good idea or should I just keep the Scorpion? I would like both but I don’t have the money for another gun right now and I don’t want to put it on one of my cards. I was considering getting a PSA 10.5” complete upper and then getting one of their lowers. Then I was gonna get a pdw brace for it. And if I could get enough out of my scorpion maybe a trigger or a red dot. Thanks for the ideas.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5.56 will carry much more energy than 9x19. Could be looking at 825+ ft lbs assuming 55gr projectile at 2600 FPS. Numbers taken from BBTI and Federal’s ballistic calculator.
I think max for 9x19 is going to be somewhere around 425 ft lbs or so depending on +p, barrel length, ammo mfg, etc. HST @ 124gr @ 1150 FPS is only 364 ft lbs.

However, 5.56 has much more blast and percussion. Depends on what you’re doing, your layout, range distances, etc. I like AR platform in 10.5”, I have two of them. But, you have to decide what trade-offs you’re willing to accept.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a scorpion sbr and a 10.5” stag pistol in .556 and they both sit in the safe.
For home defense, I’d look into a shockwave 12g. A lot of sub $300 deals
I consider myself to be a good shot, but if my house alarm starts going off at 3am, I really don’t know how reliable my aim will be in the semi lit house in a half daze with adrenaline pumping. I’d rather have a wider kill zone with 00 buck HD ammo.

If you’re sold on those two though I’d go with the scorpion. Better selection of HD ammo and no worries of over penetration, and you won’t be blinded by muzzle flash or disoriented from the percussion as likely.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A short 5.56 for home defense is an awful idea.
The muzzle blast and deafening sound will knock you out of the fight.
I had a 10.5" AR for about a week and got rid of it. Its annoyingly loud with ears on and getting it to run reliably was a chore.

Keep the scorpion and feed it Hornady Critical Defense.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I never thought about the muzzle blast from a 10.5” AR. And I know they are loud because I used to have one before I traded it for another gun. The scorpion actually shoots really good. I just wish it was shorter. But it’s not that bad when I collapse the stock on it. I added a bcm stock and a buffer tube. I have two 12 gauges that I can use. I prefer my 88. It is pretty darn light for a 12 gauge and win the pistol grip and adjustable stock it’s great. I have the same setup on my 870 but that thing weighs a ton!!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand, 5.56 is also much more likely to pass through the target and possibly do damage beyond.

Just a thought. :drunk2:

Actually, it can be the other way around.

why-high-powered-5-56-nato-223-ar-15-ammo-is-safer-for-home-defense-fbi-overpenetration-testing

Lots of info out there about 5.56 rounds for home defense.

I dunno about shooting a 10.5 AR in a house but if I had a decent amount of land......

But you supposedly have a lot of "SWAT" guys saying they didn't hear a thing after encounters in houses.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, it can be the other way around.

why-high-powered-5-56-nato-223-ar-15-ammo-is-safer-for-home-defense-fbi-overpenetration-testing

Lots of info out there about 5.56 rounds for home defense.
Ar15.com newsletter had an interesting test on ballistic gelatin in their latest issue. A .40 cal HP pistol round penetrated completely through one 12" and ended up partly into the gel block behind it. Perfectly mushroomed.
Then with the 4 layer denim test, the HP filled with material, didn't expand and went through 24" of ballistic gelatin, finally hitting the plate carrier behind it. Almost zero expansion.
Next test was a 5.56 62 grain I believe it was. Went into the first block of gel about 10" and stopped.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I never thought about the muzzle blast from a 10.5” AR. And I know they are loud because I used to have one before I traded it for another gun. The scorpion actually shoots really good. I just wish it was shorter. But it’s not that bad when I collapse the stock on it. I added a bcm stock and a buffer tube. I have two 12 gauges that I can use. I prefer my 88. It is pretty darn light for a 12 gauge and win the pistol grip and adjustable stock it’s great. I have the same setup on my 870 but that thing weighs a ton!!

Muzzle blast isn’t too bad if you install a Flaming Pig or similar in place of the flash hider, it directs the blast down range. I have a Flaming Pig on my AR pistol and it helps a lot.

As for the CZ, you could have the pistol barrel installed instead of the carbine barrel but you obviously would have to remove the butt stock. My Scorpion pistol has a folding brace, I like it without even shouldering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Top Bottom