D.C. attorney general issues subpoenas to NRA, its charitable foundation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ac6bb02d01d_story.html?utm_term=.90d6461ae26d

By Katie Zezima ,
Carol D Leonnig and
Keith L. Alexander
July 12 at 12:17 PM
D.C’s attorney general issued subpoenas Friday to the National Rifle Association and its charitable foundation, putting additional pressure on the embattled gun rights organization from nonprofit regulators.

The office of Attorney General Karl A. Racine is seeking financial documents from the NRA and its foundation. The NRA Foundation is chartered in the District and the NRA is registered as a nonprofit and does business there.

“The Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia has issued subpoenas to the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) and the NRA Foundation, Inc., as part of an investigation into whether these entities violated the District’s Nonprofit Act,” Racine said in a statement.

He continued: “We are seeking documents from these two nonprofits detailing, among other things, their financial records, payments to vendors, and payments to officers and directors.”

The NRA did not immediately return a request for comment.

Racine’s office has jurisdiction over nonprofits and can bring an organization to court to dissolve or place into receivership a nonprofit that misuses funds or does not act in accord with its stated mission.

Racine’s subpoenas come as the organization is under mounting internal and external pressure. They are the second state legal action taken against the NRA in recent months.

In April, New York Attorney General Letitia James also issued subpoenas to the NRA and its foundation seeking financial records about its tax-exempt status.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the NRA hasn't already contracted with a major outside accounting firm to do a complete forensic audit, they're stupider than they look.
From the article:

The organization has not hired an outside firm to conduct an investigation into the allegations of misspending, a measure that legal experts note is often taken by nonprofit boards in such situations. Brewer said NRA practices are already under “constant review” by top officials and the board.

Instead, NRA leaders claim gun-control advocates are ginning up the controversies to sabotage the organization. “Our financial house is in order — we aren’t going away,” read a May 22 letter to members signed by Meadows and 11 other board members, many of them past presidents.

Sounds like they are getting called on their hand to me. Of course it's all undermined by political opponents, but damn! You gotta quit crying foul and hand them their asses. This ain't looking like that's going on at all.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't have thought that was possible.
Me either. I'm really ignorant of these things, but I find it odd that the DA has "jurisdiction". I would have thought that would be the taxing authority and that if they thought shenanigans, then they would take care of it, or issue a referral to the DA who would then take the ball and run with it. :anyone:

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me either. I'm really ignorant of these things, but I find it odd that the DA has "jurisdiction". I would have thought that would be the taxing authority and that if they thought shenanigans, then they would take care of it, or issue a referral to the DA who would then take the ball and run with it. :anyone:
I didn't quote him, but I was responding to Jerry's comment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom