Dadgum Methodists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The great trouble with religion - any religion - is that a religionist, having accepted certain propositions by faith, cannot thereafter judge those propositions by evidence. One may bask at the warm fire of faith or choose to live in the bleak uncertainty of reason - but one cannot have both.
Robert A. Heinlein

I've been pondering this quote since I found it as a young preteen. RH was so much more than a science fiction writer.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The King James version was translated from the original Greek and Latin texts and is the most accurate version of the Bible according to a Baptist minister that I studied under. I have found prior to reading I would pray that I would comprehend that the scripture be revealed to me.
Decades before, when i was in Vietnam and Thailand while serving in the military, I would attempt to read the Bib!e and found that it was confusing and quite frankly boring and not undertandable.
However in 1979 I read every western book I could find, read various secular magazines because I have a love of reading. I read everything I could read in the house and looking around and I saw the Bible on the nightstand.
I have heard many speakers say that the Bible was the most published yet the least read of all books. I thought of that comment as I picked it up and the rest is history. After I gave my life to Christ, I understood the Bible and the KJV is what I started with and I will end with that version within the next ten years most likely.
I recommend the Bible to anyone, there is far more to gain by reading it than any other book in the world. As Donald Trump said, "what the $#@* do you have to lose?". Actually insofar as the Bible, there is a lot to lose.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been reading from the NASB since I was a youngster and use it most often, it’s the one I carry to church. I have KJV, NIV and even the New Living Translation which I use when studying certain passages along with the Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance. Folks arguing over which is “most accurate” always seemed an exercise in futility as most folks are more concerned about winning their case than having a conversation on the subject. I also have to think the Good Lord has a smile on His face when He sees us reading His Word regardless of the particular translation.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been reading from the NASB since I was a youngster and use it most often, it’s the one I carry to church. I have KJV, NIV and even the New Living Translation which I use when studying certain passages along with the Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance. Folks arguing over which is “most accurate” always seemed an exercise in futility as most folks are more concerned about winning their case than having a conversation on the subject. I also have to think the Good Lord has a smile on His face when He sees us reading His Word regardless of the particular translation.
I believe you are correct in your assessment! Whichever version of the Bible brings one closer to the Lord is the right Bible for that particular person.
If we had more people read any version, we’d have less crime, better politicians and country. At present though, I think we are behind the power curve and I’m not sure if we can turn the tide.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my best friends is a Methodist pastor, this is what he shared.

If you have any doubt as to what is happening in today's world, this video should make you very angry and want to throw up.

The UMC is splitting up, some churches have already decided and voted, some still not yet.

This is one sick, twisted, disgusting, vile, disturbing, etc video, in so many ways. I am especially angry that they are indoctrinating the children you see in this video, and children everywhere they can.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
God is still in His holy place, and in the end, He will prevail.

People can deceive themselves, they can deceive others, they can divide churches, they can deceive people into thinking good is evil and evil is good. For a time.

It is not our place to tell God what is right or wrong, nor will He be fine with it. It seems people are so prideful now as to think this is an option.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, according to the conference it’s allowance of homosexuals to marry and minister. According to the parishioners it’s some of that, the allowance of trans ministers, their very soft stance on abortion but mostly how they have refused to follow and openly ignore the rules of discipline set forth and voted on by the church regarding these things
Why would you be a part of a congregation that believes this way? How about attending somewhere that actually follows the Bible?

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you be a part of a congregation that believes this way? How about attending somewhere that actually follows the Bible?
That’s kinda the point here. The church is currently going through a schism over this, specifically my congregation is likely leaving assuming they can raise the funds that we were told would be our cost to leave. I’m personally torn as I need more info on a couple things before I can just agree. Blind agreeance is something I’m not capable of

Latest posts

Top Bottom