Dads deer rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Shinn

New to the site!
Reaction score
So my dad passed away a few years back, and I was left with his old hunting rifle, a Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag. When I got it, I found out my uncle, who was holding it had replaced the nice Leopold scope for a cheap Tasco. Well, the other week I decided to go ahead and replace that cheap Tasco scope with something a little better. A Center Point Spectrum. Nothing special, just better than the **** that was on there. Thanks to the poor job done installing the Tasco scope, I ended up having to drill out the old base a bed a new one, which turned into me tearing apart the whole rifle and deciding it might not be a bad idea to pillar bed, then glass bed and free float the barrel. Way to make what was supposed to be a 30 min job into a couple week ordeal, right?
Well, I ran into a snag, and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I don't have a pillar jig and bit, and was wondering if anyone had one I could use for a few days? "Why not take it to a gunsmith?"
Well, I kind of want to do it myself, as a tribute I guess, and I don't know any gunsmiths that would allow me to do the work. The jig is like 300 some odd dollars, something I'd probably only use once and be done with it. Anyway, that's my request, if anyone has a pillar jig kit for a Remington 700 that I could borrow, please let me know. I could even rent it out or do the work at your house if that is the route you want to go. Thanks and have a nice day!

Attachments

• 153541454055192744393.jpg
    153541454055192744393.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 139

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your father.
Tasco scopes are not all that bad really and it is hit or miss with new Center point scopes.
I had great results with both brands and have had both brands on guns that get hunted with for over 8 years and not a single issue.

I have never went as far as you have with needing a jig to line things back up.
And I am all about max accuracy
Good luck to you.. welcome to the forum.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dad passing...

I have a piloted bit that you could use to bore out the screw holes for the pillars, and I even have a set of pillars for a Remington 700 that I will give you. They just need to be trimmed to the correct length...
Very generous of you sir!