Dallas Texas impound law.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never said it was false. And, Clay is right, I likely wasn't out after 10 or 11 pm, except on rare occasions.

I also don't drink, so I wouldn't have been out carousing and partying to be a "target" for law enforcement.
So...it doesn't affect me, therefore it's okay to harass people who are different?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So...it doesn't affect me, therefore it's okay to harass people who are different?

Which are different? The non party goers or the party goers.

It's not good to harass people, but is it wrong to enforce the law?

Couldn't someone out late possibly be breaking the law by drinking and driving? When I worked at the OSBI, I saw dispositions of cases all the time where a criminal was stopped for one thing and found to be violating all kinds of other laws. Driving under suspension and driving under the influence were commonly together.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bingo, Terry, get off the interstates and drive in town later in the evening on a weekend and you'll eventually find the gestapo check point.
I've been stopped probably 4 times. Always in town (they cant back up interstate traffic for this) and usually after dark on a weekend but not always. I have been stopped mid afternoon but I was also leaving a venue where there was likely to be drinking (boat races). They pick their locals based on the probability of drinking activities and call it a "insurance check stop". BS.

I have seen the leo's put up a stop on I-35 in Johnson County Kansas. Yes siree, and if you tried to get off on an exit ramp, to bad, they had stops there as well. It was on a cold winter Friday night about 9:30, I think it was in the Shawnee Mission area. I was headed to Blaney's but after that stop I turned around and went back to Olathe to spend the night at home. I only saw that once but I really didn't spend that many weekends up there. Usually by Friday I was down at Grand Lake, now that's an area that gets a lot of so called safety checks.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which are different? The non party goers or the party goers.
The people out late at night--for whatever reasons--are different from you, who doesn't stay out late. They're the ones getting asked for "papers, please," not you. So...because they organize their lives differently from you, it's okay to stop them and make them show their papers just because they're out late?

It's not good to harass people, but is it wrong to enforce the law?
Nope. But "enforcing the law" should be based on some kind of, let's call it "individualized suspicion," not just "he was out late."

Couldn't someone out late possibly be breaking the law by drinking and driving?
Sure. Couldn't someone out late possibly be coming home from a late shift, or going to the grocery, or visiting friends, or not breaking any law? Is being out late a crime, or even inherently suspicious, in and of itself?
When I worked at the OSBI, I saw dispositions of cases all the time where a criminal was stopped for one thing and found to be violating all kinds of other laws. Driving under suspension and driving under the influence were commonly together.
I'm sure they were. How many cases did you see of people getting stopped and having to produce their traveling papers who weren't doing anything wrong? I'm going to go with roughly none, since those wouldn't have become "cases" in the first place.

You're old enough to remember how our politicians used to shame Communist countries about having to show their papers to travel; now, you seem to be cool with it because it only happens t "those" people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom