Dallas Texas impound law.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The people out late at night--for whatever reasons--are different from you, who doesn't stay out late. They're the ones getting asked for "papers, please," not you. So...because they organize their lives differently from you, it's okay to stop them and make them show their papers just because they're out late?

Nope. But "enforcing the law" should be based on some kind of, let's call it "individualized suspicion," not just "he was out late."

Sure. Couldn't someone out late possibly be coming home from a late shift, or going to the grocery, or visiting friends, or not breaking any law? Is being out late a crime, or even inherently suspicious, in and of itself?

I'm sure they were. How many cases did you see of people getting stopped and having to produce their traveling papers who weren't doing anything wrong? I'm going to go with roughly none, since those wouldn't have become "cases" in the first place.

You're old enough to remember how our politicians used to shame Communist countries about having to show their papers to travel; now, you seem to be cool with it because it only happens t "those" people.

You seem to be reading more into my questions than what I believe. After all, they were questions, not statements on my part as to justification for the stops.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You seem to be reading more into my questions than what I believe. After all, they were questions, not statements on my part as to justification for the stops.
Perhaps I am; it certainly seemed as though you were justifying the checkpoints, though, and I don't think I'm the only one who read it that way. If I misread you, I apologize.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The checkpoints are real. As I said earlier, revenue generators. I went through one not because of being at a bar that late at night, but because of my job. Power plants never shut down and after hours, we had call outs to remedy issues at the plant. 11PM, 1AM, etc. It didn't matter. When things went downhill at the plant, you answered the call. Sit in line while it cost the customers in Ok about 1 million dollars an hour for the plant to be down, waiting for a Tech to get there. Only happened once, but still.....
My Mom worked for many years in the Ponca City Treasurer's office in tax collections. Every month the Chief of Police would wander in there and ask about tax revenues for the month, and if they didn't fit the budget, guess what. "Safety check"!

If I remember right, there was some law passed years ago that didn't allow LEO to sit just outside of the bars and dance halls to stop those attending?
Now, the Ponca PD announces in the newspaper and on falsebook there will be a "safety check" sometime during the month. I don't know if this is a way around a legal issue or what.
Would that be the reasoning for having "safety checks" at the most busy intersections in town late in the evening?
Don't know. Just speculating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom