Dan Wesson PM-45 1911 purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks pretty good. I'll be interested in your thoughts on it after you wear it awhile. Particularly about the design of the front loop and if it will tend to allow a 1911 to sag or flop around.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks pretty good. I'll be interested in your thoughts on it after you wear it awhile. Particularly about the design of the front loop and if it will tend to allow a 1911 to sag or flop around.

Supposedly the purpose of the front strap is to pull the holster in tight against the body so that it doesn't sag or flop. From the feedback that I've read, it works. We will see if that's the case.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I know you'll give us a good honest review on it so that's why I'm wanting to see how you feel about it. Thanks

Will do...in the meantime here's a review where you can get an idea of how it rides. He's longwinded so skip to 5:41 if you only want to see how the holster looks when it's being worn.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I know you'll give us a good honest review on it so that's why I'm wanting to see how you feel about it. Thanks

Update on the holster...I received the STX 2.0 and single mag carrier from Garrett Industries within a week of placing my order. Outstanding turnaround time for a made to order holster. Unfortunately the holster just wasn't comfortable or concealable enough to warrant keeping it. It rides close to the body, but sits a little on the low side which resulted in the base of the holster body always finding an uncomfortable area to dig into. I'm sure that someone with a little more padding than me wouldn't have this issue.

I ended up returning the holster to GI for an exchange and they gladly did so. I decided to try their Silent Thunder Champion model since it has 360 degrees of cant adjustment and several different mount options. The mount that I selected was the standard ride height belt slide stabilizer with 1 1/2" loops. In hindsight, I wish that I would have selected the locking mount as it has teeth that secure the belt slide in place rather than just relying on friction. That being said the non-locking plate seems to be plenty secure. All in all I have zero complaints about the holster and would recommend it to anyone looking for something to use primarily for range or competition use. The stabilizer does a great job keeping the gun upright and reducing the amount of weight placed on the belt. The holster would conceal under an outer garment, but the speed cut probably makes it a less than ideal choice for a carry holster.

I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Garrett Industries. Heck, Ron Garrett himself even spoke to me on his cell phone, on his day off, while he was mowing his lawn to discuss which holster and attachments that he thought would suit me best. He, his wife Sheryl, and their office employees were all extremely polite and helpful folks.

HAFteVxh.jpg

sefVi5hh.jpg

oBWKeOdh.jpg

M1jZJYPh.jpg

Jf1E2vfh.jpg

poXihsoh.jpg

FrzUYvUh.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@lasher hooked me up with a Smith and Alexander magwell MSH on Friday. I had one on my wish list so I was thrilled to hear that he had a spare on hand after ordering a few directly from S&A. The S&A magwell is a one piece MSH that doesn't require any fitting on a DW (it would have required modification in order to fit one of Ray's Colts though). The checkering is slightly larger, otherwise the part is a dead match for the pistol's finish, etc. Fit couldn't be any better for a drop-in part. The factory beveled base grips will soon be replaced with a set of black burl maple magwell grip panels from Lasher's custom grip maker.

Thanks again Ray!

dM8foQoh.jpg

DrF0C7Yh.jpg

HbkSew3h.jpg

IPPjvezh.jpg

9deJ0Pvh.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom