Dang... I'm Racking Up The Miles On My Truck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2017 F-250. Just turned over 30,000 miles on the way back from Olustee on Friday. I had just a shade over 11,000 on it a year and a half ago. Then I met a woman. We all know what that means...

💲💰💲

When we met April 1st of 2021 I had about 13,000 miles on my 2018 Cruze. It's pushing 40,000 now. She had a 2018 Subaru with about 95,000. That woman drives a lot.

It's time we had the talk about how we can't afford a new car and these need to last a LONG time. Oh, wait...we already had that talk. Then she drove down to TX to visit the kids.
Chasing tail can cause you to rack up miles. :lmfao:

I’ve got a 2011 F250 I bought new in April 2011, and it has 207k on it. At least 75% of those miles are back and forth to Oklahoma. My round trip is generally around 1300 miles, so it’s a good thing I can’t come up more often.
Over the years, I’ve traded trucks at around 130-140k, and then have to see someone else drive them around town for many more years. I really like my 2011, and there’s nothing mechanically wrong with it. My intention is to see just how many miles it can go. Having multiple trucks, I pretty much only drive it to church and to OK.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe not my Toyota.
View attachment 319162

View attachment 319163

366,000 miles on it.
Starter and AC and struts and springs are the only major things done to it.
This is a 1995 and has all the original exhaust on it and only the upper radiator hose and PCV hose have been changed.

I drive it hard and treat it like a truck.
You guys knew that though.
The 1.8 Toyota engine is awesome and a friend of mine had a 1998 with 850,000 miles when he sold it to a girl he taught how to drive in it.
He was a driving instructor and that Toyota was the learning car he used so easy to rack up all those miles.
You could Hunt in the Amazon Jungle in that car!😀

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What engine? What work have you had done to it? I’ve an 08 5.4 with 190,000+. Just brake pads, oil, plugs and coils so far.
Why you ask such difficult questions - too funny, I am a car/truck lov'n dude and used to be a mechanic and owned part of an auto parts and paint store, years ago. Now I don't work on the computer operated everything - Robinson Tire knows me all too well. I do still know where the hood release is though, so I can pull the birds nest out of the engine compartment. Them one stupid birds can make a hut faster and better than Gilligan.
:pms2:

But it is the larger V8, so I am told. 5.4 sounds right too.
- Spark Plugs
- Coils
- Brake's a couple times. The original ones lasted so long compared to replacement
- Rotors (all 4) once
- some suspension parts
- new bearings in the rear-end (I think, or something back in there, I just paid the bill) sad ain't it. But I also have a Truck Vault with the HD slide out in it and a topper, there is some serious weight there. Had to put overload springs on it to bring it back to level
- Several tires
- I think that is about it

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why you ask such difficult questions - too funny, I am a car/truck lov'n dude and used to be a mechanic and owned part of an auto parts and paint store, years ago. Now I don't work on the computer operated everything - Robinson Tire knows me all too well. I do still know where the hood release is though, so I can pull the birds nest out of the engine compartment. Them one stupid birds can make a hut faster and better than Gilligan.
:pms2:

But it is the larger V8, so I am told. 5.4 sounds right too.
- Spark Plugs
- Coils
- Brake's a couple times. The original ones lasted so long compared to replacement
- Rotors (all 4) once
- some suspension parts
- new bearings in the rear-end (I think, or something back in there, I just paid the bill) sad ain't it. But I also have a Truck Vault with the HD slide out in it and a topper, there is some serious weight there. Had to put overload springs on it to bring it back to level
- Several tires
- I think that is about it

I was just wondering. That’s some good high mileage. Was wondering what all had been done like maybe cam chain and tensioners or cam phasers and cams. Wondering how many miles I might get out my ol truck and comparing to see what you have done.

The rotors I will do when it hit 200,000 with new pads. You still have the original transmission too? I like my old truck and how to get the same type of miles you did.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just wondering. That’s some good high mileage. Was wondering what all had been done like maybe cam chain and tensioners or cam phasers and cams. Wondering how many miles I might get out my ol truck and comparing to see what you have done.

The rotors I will do when it hit 200,000 with new pads. You still have the original transmission too? I like my old truck and how to get the same type of miles you did.
I love my old truck. Found a receipt from Robertsons, on the suspension I had Ball Joints and shocks and struts too. Yes, original transmission, no issues there. Now one catch on mine.

Early on, just shy of 90000 miles it took to ticking on one side, just a consistent timed tic. I took it back to Ford (under warranty) and of course they didn't hear it "everything sounded normal". They said, "if it gets worse bring it in". So, I had them make a note in my file about it. I thought it was some kind of vacuum check valve gone bad or emission valve. As I was leaving, I saw the salesman I bought it from, and we visited. I had him listen to it - he said no, BS, that tic is not normal. Back to the service desk we go. So, a mechanic came out and they determined it was the cam phaser on one side. They replaced it. I came back to get it a few days later and tic-tic-tic. uh-no, it is still tic'n. Again "that's normal". So, I call the salesman to come over and he told them keep digging boys, that is not normal. It was just a very-very slight tic. About 4 days later I get a call, got your tic fixed come get it. Turns out one of the sparkplugs never got torqued down properly and backed off and was leaking exhaust by it. Since spark plugs are a "wear item", I had to pay for the plug but not the labor. So, all of that to say; yes, I have had one cam phaser replaced.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my old truck. Found a receipt from Robertsons, on the suspension I had Ball Joints and shocks and struts too. Yes, original transmission, no issues there. Now one catch on mine.

Early on, just shy of 90000 miles it took to ticking on one side, just a consistent timed tic. I took it back to Ford (under warranty) and of course they didn't hear it "everything sounded normal". They said, "if it gets worse bring it in". So, I had them make a note in my file about it. I thought it was some kind of vacuum check valve gone bad or emission valve. As I was leaving, I saw the salesman I bought it from, and we visited. I had him listen to it - he said no, BS, that tic is not normal. Back to the service desk we go. So, a mechanic came out and they determined it was the cam phaser on one side. They replaced it. I came back to get it a few days later and tic-tic-tic. uh-no, it is still tic'n. Again "that's normal". So, I call the salesman to come over and he told them keep digging boys, that is not normal. It was just a very-very slight tic. About 4 days later I get a call, got your tic fixed come get it. Turns out one of the sparkplugs never got torqued down properly and backed off and was leaking exhaust by it. Since spark plugs are a "wear item", I had to pay for the plug but not the labor. So, all of that to say; yes, I have had one cam phaser replaced.

Cool. Thanks for the drawn out reply. I’ve also replaced ball joints and shocks and struts on mine. I have a little tick on mine and I may need to check my spark plugs again. It’s good to know that these trucks when properly maintained can get some good mileage on them. I’d say 85% of my driving his highway. The other 15’s just getting in and out of town. I take and change my wall with mobile one full synthetic every 5000 miles. I don’t think it ever gets a chance for the oil to break down. I’m pretty good at replacing the transmission fluid too. She’s been a good old truck. I’ve had her since she was new so that’s about 14 going on 15 years now.

I do have this one annoying little glitch with the interior lights. Occasionally while driving they come on and I have to tap the dash or turn the lights off. It’s supposed to be some bad solder in the dash panel. I tried re-soldering it but it didn’t work so I may end up just buying a new dash console. Just minor stuff with her. Remember when I bought her in July 2008 I got a heck of a deal. It was a $32,500 truck and I ended up getting it for 20,000. I’d be tempted to get a new one if I could get another deal like that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom