Danged nickel cases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Evidently everything worked.
First three shots at 100 yards. Subsequent groups were the same.
Went to the 300 yd range and swang the 6” steel plates easily.
Previous velocity was 4025 FPS. Since there was no signs of over pressures I upped the load to 4110 FPS and the groups tightened up.
Shilen hand lapped match barrel for the win.

4f1416c05586fdd07d340208d9a2ebd1.jpg

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Evidently everything worked.
First three shots at 100 yards. Subsequent groups were the same.
Went to the 300 yd range and swang the 6” steel plates easily.
Previous velocity was 4025 FPS. Since there was no signs of over pressures I upped the load to 4110 FPS and the groups tightened up.
Shilen hand lapped match barrel for the win.
More on this barrel contour, setup, load,etc. That is outstanding performance even for 3 shot groups. Just curious about it holding up for 5 shot groups. Im thinking of a high velocity .243 burner myself.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More on this barrel contour, setup, load,etc. That is outstanding performance even for 3 shot groups. Just curious about it holding up for 5 shot groups. Im thinking of a high velocity .243 burner myself.

AR-15, Shilen medium contour match grade barrel, 1:12 twist, 22”, fluted. 47.5 grains of Varget which is 95% case capacity.
3e69acaa3477ae0874b01476cbe0cbb4.jpg
4bbefc8fde1d66a7854758daa30d5adc.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis in that picture I see what looks like some peeling of the bullet right around the case mouth.
Lower second row from the left looks like the most.
Could be the image just looks that way and it is not there.

May not be anything just bringing it up as I have had that happen with thick neck cases and the regular RCBS chamfer tool.
When I went to a VLD chamfer and brushed the necks before loading it went away.

I have not had necks as thick as what the WSSM necks are though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis in that picture I see what looks like some peeling of the bullet right around the case mouth.
Lower second row from the left looks like the most.
Could be the image just looks that way and it is not there.

May not be anything just bringing it up as I have had that happen with thick neck cases and the regular RCBS chamfer tool.
When I went to a VLD chamfer and brushed the necks before loading it went away.

I have not had necks as thick as what the WSSM necks are though.
There was a tiny bit on a couple even though I'd chamfered the cases inside and out. The case necks are extremely thick compared to other rounds. It is a varmint bullet and I've thought that the copper may be a tad softer than a more heavily constructed bullet.
I have two of the Hornady case prep stations with deburring tools and a neck brush that every case gets. It's possible that the case wasn't squarely held to the chamfer tool and I missed a spot too. Good eye!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fought that peeling of what I call guilding metal for some time and about any bullet will do it.
My savage 24" .308 factory barrel never pleased me and copper fouled quite easily.
I tried all kinds of things to make it stupid accurate and the VLD chamfer by Lyman really did the trick.
And I go as far as to take a 7/16 nut driver bit with 1/4" shank and pack steel wool 0000 into it and chuck it in a drill and polish the case mouths after deburing and chamfering.

Way too much case prep for a 300 yard and in hunting rig but tiny groups way out you start to see advantages.

Just this year my eye Doc said my near nearsightedness has gotten better.
I can see clearly farther away without glasses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom