Dangerous wildlife in the Skiatook/Tulsa area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, there is very little in your neck of the woods that is capable of harming you other than the rattle snakes/copperheads and maybe a pig that you walk up on. That pig isn't going to intentionally charge you, wanting to get away from you more than it wants to harm you.
I've been in the woods walking around for close to 60 years now and I'm not afraid to walk unarmed with the exception of human varmints now that are taking up residence in remote areas.
Take a firearm capable of removing a human threat and enjoy your time in the woods.
Read this, OP. You’re not in the Wild West here in OK.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the guns I have been looking at is a Taurus Judge Public Defender. I was thinking I could load it with buckshot and keep it in my center console for a carjacking deterrant if getting to my waistband proves to be difficult while seated and belted in, and put slugs in it when I venture out into the wilderness
When out on my 80 acres, at least in the warmer months, I carry my Taurus Judge with 410 and 45 colts alternating in the cylinder. Never know if I will cross path with a rattlesnake or wild pig.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read this, OP. You’re not in the Wild West here in OK.
I'm beginning to understand. Previously my only experiance with OK was seeing cowboys and stagecoaches while watching football on saturdays and my mom telling me stories of my great-uncle's furniture store in Enid

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a pretty bad coyote problem on and around my place, but in 20 years of hunting, shed hunting, morel hunting, and fishing, I’ve never encountered an aggressive coyote. In my experience, they’re more curious than anything. Last summer while fishing in the river, I had a coyote cross the river and come up behind me to within about 10 yards. It just stood there watching me for a couple minutes and trotted off into the brush.
11A2F976-C922-41B4-8588-711AE94B7154.jpeg

6069BF30-7A21-4B84-8658-1DFA68F6DD2B.jpeg

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,
I just moved to Skiatook 2 days ago and am wondering what kinds of animals I might come across while hiking or what may wander onto the property. I ask because I want to know if I need to upgrade to a more powerful handgun to carry during a hike or walking the dog. Since my previous place of residence (San Diego), didn't allow us to carry, my most powerful handgun/cartridge combo is a S&W Model 27 in .357mag, and I was thinking of upgrading to an M&P 10mm or a Taurus Raging Hunter in 44mag. My only form of defense against San Diego county's biggest threat (coyotes) when walking my dog, was to carry a length of steel cable attached to a wooden handle, and it was pretty common to see coyotes stalking people who were walking small to medium sized dogs when I left for work in the morning.
Most people around here don't seem to believe it, but we do have cougars in this area. I have personailly seen several in the last 60 odd years. My adult son came face to face with an adult courger in broad daylight, a few years ago in a customers yard, near Shell Creek Lake, a few miles NW of Sand Springs. A young courger was captured in a persons back yard in Tulsa a few years ago, and it made the local news! You know they can't put anything on TV that is not true! The wildlife people thought this cougar was wild because it was malnourished, wormy, and had a lot of ticks! If you survived the DANGEROUS WILD LIFE in the San Diego area, LEFTWINGNUTS, you sholdn't have anything to worry about around here! Welcome!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a pretty bad coyote problem on and around my place, but in 20 years of hunting, shed hunting, morel hunting, and fishing, I’ve never encountered an aggressive coyote. In my experience, they’re more curious than anything. Last summer while fishing in the river, I had a coyote cross the river and come up behind me to within about 10 yards. It just stood there watching me for a couple minutes and trotted off into the brush.
View attachment 323431
View attachment 323432
When I was a young teenager I was riding a horse back from a friend house, on a lease road through the woods west of Prattville, late at nght. A LARGE pack of Coyotes got all round me in the dark, sounded like 50 of them! These things were barking, and SNAPPING THEIR TEETH, loudly! Lucly I wes able to control the horse, he was a good old horse, with a calm nature! They did this all the way home, it scared the crap out of me, and the horse. I have heard they are no threat to humans, but after that experience I'm not sure they know that?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever seen one of those in person laddie? They are huge and fugly. Reloading is a pain. You need a semiauto in either 45, 40 or 10mm. You cannot beat a 1911 platform or a good striker weapon.
Just my 50 cents.
Not to mention the short barrel provides little to no help with slugs, and the rifling in the barrel provides unusable shot patterns with buckshot and birdshot.

OP, you don’t have anything to worry about really. Coyotes and the few cougars we haveare better at avoiding you than you are at avoiding them, pigs aren’t an issue unless you corner them or injure them, which leaves the only real issue to be people. I’ve seen one bear in Oklahoma, it was running from me, and I was in the far southeastern corner of the state. Maybe snakes, but they’re easy to avoid. If you want an excuse to buy a gun, I suggest a revolver. Makes for a solid hiking/outdoors gun with a single round of snake shot followed with a few 38spl/357mag hollow points.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a young teenager I was riding a horse back from a friend house, on a lease road through the woods west of Prattville, late at nght. A LARGE pack of Coyotes got all round me in the dark, sounded like 50 of them! These things were barking, and SNAPPING THEIR TEETH, loudly! Lucly I wes able to control the horse, he was a good old horse, with a calm nature! They did this all the way home, it scared the crap out of me, and the horse. I have heard they are no threat to humans, but after that experience I'm not sure they know that?
I’ve had a pack or two near me, about 20-30 yards away from me carrying on, doing exactly what you’re talking about. They’re just communicating. It is a bit eerie, they sounded like they were standing next to me, their voices carry so well. three or four coyotes can really make themselves sound like a dozen or more too.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had a pack or two near me, about 20-30 yards away from me carrying on, doing exactly what you’re talking about. They’re just communicating. It is a bit eerie, they sounded like they were standing next to me, their voices carry so well. three or four coyotes can really make themselves sound like a dozen or more too.
This bunch was talking alright! They were discussing who got to eat the horse, and who got to eat me!

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
John we need to meet. Really no BS. I’ve heard a lot of stuff in my decades of being an Oklahoman, 99.9999999999990 here, I love the stories or other people. You guys must be lucky,I’ve heard a cougar but never got to see one, except the female type.

I can certainly tell you a story about one at 5 AM in the morning. Man would I love to see one👍

Latest posts

Top Bottom