Dangerous wildlife in the Skiatook/Tulsa area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
John we need to meet. Really no BS. I’ve heard a lot of stuff in my decades of being an Oklahoman, 99.9999999999990 here, I love the stories or other people. You guys must be lucky,I’ve heard a cougar but never got to see one, except the female type.
I know, those type Cougars are far more dangerous! I'm old, and no longer attracted to their mating call! THANK GOD!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
John we need to meet. Really no BS. I’ve heard a lot of stuff in my decades of being an Oklahoman, 99.9999999999990 here, I love the stories or other people. You guys must be lucky,I’ve heard a cougar but never got to see one, except the female type.
We had one jump out to the sholder of a gravel road, and run along just in front of the car for 50/60 yards, early one morning while going fishing, when I was about 12 or 13 years old. where Keystone Lake is now!! Saw a young Cougar, a friend of mine had killed. my adult son saw an adult Cougar in a customers yard near Shell Creek Lake 5/6 years ago! He was delivering something, and the people were not home! He said he just turned around and this Cougar was standing 20/30 feet away just looking at him, licking it's lips! He was next to his truck so he got in and watched him a while, he finally just walked off! I don't know if the Oklahoma wildlife people acknowledge we have Cougars, or not, but I know a guy that is a wildfife biolgest in Arkansas. I ask him why they didn't ackowledge they had a cougar population, and his answer was, do you have any idea how much paperwork that would create?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bears and cougar range wide area, they go with the game, I believe they come from Arkansas. I find it funny really, I’m sure most haven’t seen an armadillo here in NE Oklahoma 🤣
I have a buddy who lived in California and Nevada the first 24years of his life. Moved out here to central Oklahoma for 4 years, and then up to Colorado for the past 7. This last summer he came down to go fishing and hunting as we try to get together and do so at least once a year. He saw his first armadillo this summer. He was amazed. I was amazed he had never seen one.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a buddy who lived in California and Nevada the first 24years of his life. Moved out here to central Oklahoma for 4 years, and then up to Colorado for the past 7. This last summer he came down to go fishing and hunting as we try to get together and do so at least once a year. He saw his first armadillo this summer. He was amazed. I was amazed he had never seen one.
I was raised in the Ozarks in Arkansas, and NE Oklahoma, and had never seen an armadillo until I went to Ft. Polk LA, in 1963. Now thay are everywhere. I understandf they are the only thing on earth, except humans, that can catch, and spread leprosy??

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had one jump out to the sholder of a gravel road, and run along just in front of the car for 50/60 yards, early one morning while going fishing, when I was about 12 or 13 years old. where Keystone Lake is now!! Saw a young Cougar, a friend of mine had killed. my adult son saw an adult Cougar in a customers yard near Shell Creek Lake 5/6 years ago! He was delivering something, and the people were not home! He said he just turned around and this Cougar was standing 20/30 feet away just looking at him, licking it's lips! He was next to his truck so he got in and watched him a while, he finally just walked off! I don't know if the Oklahoma wildlife people acknowledge we have Cougars, or not, but I know a guy that is a wildfife biolgest in Arkansas. I ask him why they didn't ackowledge they had a cougar population, and his answer was, do you have any idea how much paperwork that would create?

Out in Elgin and I’ve heard one down in the creek south of the Dam many years ago. A sound you won’t forget. And then down in Faxon I’ve a friend that has land next to Cache creek. Never saw one but I’ve seen the tracks. Big kitty paw prints. I’ve seen game camera pics of the big cats around here. Some years back someone on here showed off pictures that were like Mustang or Yukon that had captured pics of one round here.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was raised in the Ozarks in Arkansas, and NE Oklahoma, and had never seen an armadillo until I went to Ft. Polk LA, in 1963. Now thay are everywhere. I understandf they are the only thing on earth, except humans, that can catch, and spread leprosy??
They have been slowly invading from the south, much like the fire ants. They're native to Central or South America if I remember right. I don't know if they're the only, but I do know that they definitely have a higher propensity to carry leprosy, due to their low body temperature.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I just moved to Skiatook 2 days ago and am wondering what kinds of animals I might come across while hiking or what may wander onto the property. I ask because I want to know if I need to upgrade to a more powerful handgun to carry during a hike or walking the dog. Since my previous place of residence (San Diego), didn't allow us to carry, my most powerful handgun/cartridge combo is a S&W Model 27 in .357mag, and I was thinking of upgrading to an M&P 10mm or a Taurus Raging Hunter in 44mag. My only form of defense against San Diego county's biggest threat (coyotes) when walking my dog, was to carry a length of steel cable attached to a wooden handle, and it was pretty common to see coyotes stalking people who were walking small to medium sized dogs when I left for work in the morning.
I thought that the most dangerous wildlife in the San Diego area, at least according to the National news, were those crossing over the boarder heading North 🤔

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
They have been slowly invading from the south, much like the fire ants. They're native to Central or South America if I remember right. I don't know if they're the only, but I do know that they definitely have a higher propensity to carry leprosy, due to their low body temperature.
They've been in the South (TX) since the 19th century but since all the natural predators that have kept them in check have been eliminated or reduced, there's nothing keeping them from spreading everywhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom