Dangerous wildlife in the Skiatook/Tulsa area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned above, feral hogs are what I'd be concerned with, and possibly but rarely the meth heads cooking out in the boonies. Wild feral hogs are found in every single one of the 77 Counties in Oklahoma.

Maybe it's just me, but if out hiking or wandering, I would NOT have the ear buds in listening to music, podcasts, or books on tape. Silence please to enjoy the surroundings. I'd keep my eyes moving, ears listening, little to no talking, just being very observant all the time. You are more likely to wander by a momma distracting and chasing you away from her babies than actually being stalked by such.

Anything Belt Fed should be just fine, I think. (And you wouldn't need to go to the gym anymore).

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the guns I have been looking at is a Taurus Judge Public Defender. I was thinking I could load it with buckshot and keep it in my center console for a carjacking deterrant if getting to my waistband proves to be difficult while seated and belted in, and put slugs in it when I venture out into the wilderness
Honestly, there is very little in your neck of the woods that is capable of harming you other than the rattle snakes/copperheads and maybe a pig that you walk up on. That pig isn't going to intentionally charge you, wanting to get away from you more than it wants to harm you.
I've been in the woods walking around for close to 60 years now and I'm not afraid to walk unarmed with the exception of human varmints now that are taking up residence in remote areas.
Take a firearm capable of removing a human threat and enjoy your time in the woods.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, there is very little in your neck of the woods that is capable of harming you other than the rattle snakes/copperheads and maybe a pig that you walk up on. That pig isn't going to intentionally charge you, wanting to get away from you more than it wants to harm you.
I've been in the woods walking around for close to 60 years now and I'm not afraid to walk unarmed with the exception of human varmints now that are taking up residence in remote areas.
Take a firearm capable of removing a human threat and enjoy your time in the woods.
Well I can tell someone who's never crossed paths with a jackalope! Those little bast@rds will flush at the last minute and have been known to rip a calf muscle clean in two on a full grown man. Pray you never get the *ahem* pleasure of coming across one in the wild. Don't even get me started on the western wild snipe! *shudders*
Stay frosty my friend.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the guns I have been looking at is a Taurus Judge Public Defender. I was thinking I could load it with buckshot and keep it in my center console for a carjacking deterrant if getting to my waistband proves to be difficult while seated and belted in, and put slugs in it when I venture out into the wilderness
Have you ever seen one of those in person laddie? They are huge and fugly. Reloading is a pain. You need a semiauto in either 45, 40 or 10mm. You cannot beat a 1911 platform or a good striker weapon.
Just my 50 cents.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I can tell someone who's never crossed paths with a jackalope! Those little bast@rds will flush at the last minute and have been known to rip a calf muscle clean in two on a full grown man. Pray you never get the *ahem* pleasure of coming across one in the wild. Don't even get me started on the western wild snipe! *shudders*
Stay frosty my friend.

Jackalope

1669527055895.png

Or it's western cousin the antelabbit.

1669527102276.png

Sorry, I had the pictures switched. The long eared one is the Jackalope.

Last edited:

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jackalope

View attachment 323285

Or it's western cousin the antelabbit.

View attachment 323286

Sorry, I had the pictures switched. The long eared one is the Jackalope.

That’s no ordinary rabbit.

Death a waits you all with nasty, big pointy teeth. That’s one of the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you ever set eye on

Those are the dread man killer rabbits of Caerbannog and have killed hundreds of knights.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My best friend grew up in Skiatook, didn’t read the responses but your biggest concerns are going to be rattle snakes. The second biggest concern will be coyotes if if you have small dogs or smaller livestock. While bobcats (plenty you’ll never see), a cougar or bear might pass though they’re very rare 99.9% have never seen one.

The city proper…….please.

Good area enjoy but watch for snakes, not that you’ll see them that often unless your a farmer, rancher, or hunter and as a hunter that’s not been a common occurrence for me. Know your habit and where they live.

Some people blowing smoke up ones butt as a joke never been my style. At least not letting it go very far until I make fun of them. I own 5 acres about 2 1/2 miles north on highway 11 that the family uses to shoot.

Great duck and deer hunting. I hardly ever see cotton tail rabbits anymore, which is sad. Don’t hunt as I used to but I hike and in the woods everyday weather permitting.

Last edited:

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Son and DIL have 10 acres south of Skiatook near Zink Ranch. We hear Coyotes out there at night, haven't seen any pigs but neighbors have. A racoon occasionally trying to raid the chicken house as well. Biggest issue is a pack of dogs that supposedly belong to a neighbor that came on the property one night and killed piglets and took out a sheep. Let local Sheriff handle that one and haven't had issues since, but they are now more aware of the potential threat from the dogs.

I was brush hogging the other day and saw a ferocious killer tree rat, fortunately I was able to dispatch him with my Glock 43, it was terrifying. :)

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My best friend grew up in Skiatook, didn’t read the responses but your biggest concerns are going to be rattle snakes. The second biggest concern will b coyotes if if you have small dogs or smaller livestock. While bobcats (plenty you’ll never see), a cougar or bear might pass though there very rare 99.9% have never seen one.

The city proper…….please.

Good area enjoy but watch for snakes, not that you’ll see them that often unless your a farmer, rancher, or hunter and as a hunter that’s not been a common occurrence for me. Know your habit and where they live.

Some people blowing smoke up ones butt as a joke never been my style. At least not letting it go very far until I make fun of them. I own 5 acres about 2 1/2 miles north on highway 11 that the family uses to shoot.
Be Advised..... I was blowing smoke up anyone's ass that would listen to my cougar comments. I was never stalked by a cougar in skiatook,but i was in OKC.

also BE ADVISED....just cause i was Blowing smoke up your ass doesn't mean there aren't cougars with candy and juice in Skiatook.

and be advised that in future comments from me and others you may find a little smokey. it is all in good humor.

Be advised....even now in this post i am blowing smoke up someones ass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom