Daniel Shaver shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how they described the video to the jury, and if it was described in an accurate way. from what i could tell, it seems like the officer who issued those instructions should never have been a police officer in the first place.

His behaviour was reprehensible, and he escalated the situation instead of deescalating. they basically murdered this guy. at least from my POV. it would be interesting to see what the resident LEOs think of the situation.

Judge barred the video from the trail, said it was too predjudicial. Pretty effed up

Last edited:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over thanksgiving we drove back to Oklahoma and i had time to catch up on some podcasts. One of them, from the folks at Radio Lab is called More Perfect and deals with the SCOTUS and it's decisions.

One of the episodes i found very interesting is this one, Mr. Graham and the Reasonable Man. It deals with the case that gave us the 'reasonable officer' standard for use of force against citizens. While it gets a bit much at times (their legal editor is getting my on nerves when he is interviewed), one of the things that it goes into great depth about is the idea that officers are to be judged by whether their actions were appropriate 'at that moment'.

@Dave70968 can probably go into better detail about things than i can, and i'm probably screwing up parts of the story, but the idea is that the stuff surrounding a use of force (i.e. everything you see in the video up to when the guy moves and is shot) isn't really considered. It's just was the use of force appropriate at that moment (i.e. did the officer 'fear for his life').

It's really an interesting look at how we arrived here and how courts have looked at the Graham decision.

As backstory, Graham (the individual who brought the case to the SCOTUS) was having a diabetic reaction when he was pulled out of a car by the police who thought he *might* have shoplifted from a gas station since an officer saw him go in and then exit quickly. (He hadn't stole anything, btw) The cops said he was drunk, cuffed him and were generally not nice to him. After they realized what was going on, they took him home him and left him in his front yard.

He won at the SCOTUS level and still lost at the state level because the jury thought the officer's actions in the moment were acceptable use of force. It's really an interesting story.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Judge barred the video from the trail, said it was too predjuditial. Pretty effed up

Also barred pics of Exhibit "A", from what I've read..

A0VWZ1u.jpg

PobXN2x.jpg

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over thanksgiving we drove back to Oklahoma and i had time to catch up on some podcasts. One of them, from the folks at Radio Lab is called More Perfect and deals with the SCOTUS and it's decisions.

One of the episodes i found very interesting is this one, Mr. Graham and the Reasonable Man. It deals with the case that gave us the 'reasonable officer' standard for use of force against citizens. While it gets a bit much at times (their legal editor is getting my on nerves when he is interviewed), one of the things that it goes into great depth about is the idea that officers are to be judged by whether their actions were appropriate 'at that moment'.

@Dave70968 can probably go into better detail about things than i can, and i'm probably screwing up parts of the story, but the idea is that the stuff surrounding a use of force (i.e. everything you see in the video up to when the guy moves and is shot) isn't really considered. It's just was the use of force appropriate at that moment (i.e. did the officer 'fear for his life').

It's really an interesting look at how we arrived here and how courts have looked at the Graham decision.

As backstory, Graham (the individual who brought the case to the SCOTUS) was having a diabetic reaction when he was pulled out of a car by the police who thought he *might* have shoplifted from a gas station since an officer saw him go in and then exit quickly. (He hadn't stole anything, btw) The cops said he was drunk, cuffed him and were generally not nice to him. After they realized what was going on, they took him home him and left him in his front yard.

He won at the SCOTUS level and still lost at the state level because the jury thought the officer's actions in the moment were acceptable use of force. It's really an interesting story.

Thanks for sharing.

I usually give police the benefit of the doubt. I really think we need a national standard or something, because I feel that inadequate training and professionalism hurts our communities.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why did they not approach the suspects and arrest them? The police screamed orders at them for over 3 minutes until the male suspect was in tears begging to not be shot. The cop did make good on his repeated promises to kill him though. I guess the cop isn’t a liar and a murderer, just a murderer.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been in a felony traffic stop a few times, not me they were looking for. Sadly I am not the only good looking guy in this area, at that time. I have been told the other guy is now, or at least was in prison.

But think of having a LEO scared crapless, with a pistol not a foot from my face while I am sitting in a car and on the other side of the car is another LEO pointing his pistol at me also.

Now here is where things were spooky. One LEO was yelling to keep my hands up and not move, the other was yelling to get out of the car.

So you ask how did I live? As I sat, as still as any rock, another officer that knew me arrived and saw the mess I was in, he started yelling at everyone they had the wrong guy.

My Dad was driving that day, he still turns white when the subject is brought up. Of the 5 LEO's that were on scene, just two offered the crazy words .... Sorry about that, ............ neither were the ones with pistols in my face.

I see no reason for what went on in this video.

Latest posts

Top Bottom