Danish National Orchestra

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is great. My parents actually bought me this album when I was a kid.
Hugo Montenegro was the original composer.

Themes for Westerns
AP
Published: February 8, 1981

• FACEBOOK
  • TWITTER
  • GOOGLE+
  • EMAIL
  • PRINT
  • REPRINTS
Correction Appended
PALM SPRINGS, Calif., Feb. 7— Hugo Montenegro, the composer probably best remembered for the haunting themes he wrote for Western movies starring Clint Eastwood, died yesterday at his home here. He was 55 years old.

Mr. Montenegro had suffered from emphysema for several months, according to friends. His theme from the film ''The Good, the Bad and the Ugly'' reached No. 2 on the music charts in May 1968. The eerie, contrapuntal whistle tune has since beenwidely imitated in western movies and is often associated with Mr. Eastwood's ''man-with-no-name'' character.

Mr. Montenegro also wrote the theme for another Eastwood movie, ''Hang 'Em High,'' the same year. He also wrote the background music for such television series as ''I Dream of Jeanie.'' Mr. Montenegro is survived by his wife, Cathy, and two children.

Correction: March 8, 1981, Sunday, Late City Final Edition and February 15, 1981, Sunday, Late City Final Edition An obituary of Hugo Montenegro by The Associated Press in some editions of The Times on Feb. 8 incorrectly credited the musical theme for the film ''Hang 'Em High.'' The theme was composed by Dominic Frontiere. An obituary on Hugo Montenegro by the Associated Press in some editions of The Times last Sunday incorrectly credited the scores for the films "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," "A Fistful of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More." The scores and themes were composed by Ennio Morricone.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, guy hanging by the neck in the background wouldn't make it in this country!!
Amazing how they use the different props like slapping a couple of boards and voices to complete the effect.
I actually have the first few seconds of this as my text alert on the iPhone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom