Dash cams

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Installed one about 4 years ago, about 6 months after I installed it a guy swerved into me on the highway and hit me, the cam caught it. When the officer asked my side of the story his doubt changed when I told him I had a dash cam, the other guy was found, and cited. When State Farm wanted me to pay my deductible because they insured both of us, I contested it and sent the video, they paid the full claim. That one incident paid for the camera 2x.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My one downside is if I leave it on overnight, it will drain the battery. If I leave it on over the weekend, I need a jump.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful. If the other party or LEO's even see the mount for a dashcam, they are likely to ask for the video in the event of a lawsuit or charges.

The company we work for in the Summer has cameras all over the van, and they encountered a situation where an accident occurred. In reality, the cameras did let the company win the suit, but they still had to provide ALL the road condition survey data to the other party.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My one downside is if I leave it on overnight, it will drain the battery. If I leave it on over the weekend, I need a jump.
You need a different dash cam or a new battery. I've left mine on since I installed it, and the only time my truck needed a jump was when I had the Rona last August and didn't go outside for almost three weeks. That includes leaving it parked for several days during the cold spell a few months back.

Supposedly, you want one that uses a supercapacitor instead of a battery in the warmer climates. Heat and lithium-ion batteries don't get along, and most dash cam failures are really battery failures, and the supercaps are more heat resistant. At least that's what I read when I was researching dash cams.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a dash cam as a gift that was a tiny 1.5" screen but it had a mini SD card that did the actual recording. One could play back on the little screen but if played back on a lap top, it was so grainy that you couldn't make out anything.
320P or something.
I'm going to invest in a good unit because people do stupid things when I'm pulling an RV.
It's amazing how many need to speed around us and then slow down so they have to be passed again, or come around us way over the speed limit just to take an exit. WTF? They gained zero travel time and wasted fuel when they could have maintained speed and took the same exit without us having to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting them.
Pretty good insurance to document the incident I hope never happens.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the model I run and have been VERY happy with it. It even has a speed camera warning. No screen, you can remove the mini sd card and download to a pc or mac. Great quality video and also captures audio (be careful of your conversations :) )

EDIT: This is the new version of the one I have that now includes WiFi streaming to your smart phone. I think I am going to upgrade and buy this one. Put the old one in the wife’s car.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thinkw...h-gps-accessory-black/6452869.p?skuId=6452869

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom