David Stanley Chevrolet in Norman: Frustrated/upset after a visit there today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hickey dealership on May ave was the biggest scam operation in automobile history, but he sold a lot of cars using those techniques. I'd heard the horror storries, so we parked down the street, and walked onto the lot.

Funny time was when I drove on the lot with my KZ 750 I keep my keys cause no one wanted to "try" and park my rice rocket. When I was done all the sales men tried to block me as I zagged around the tiger teeth tire slashers.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worst thing you can do is tell them you want to trade. Find the vehicle you want, negotiate the deal or leave. IF the deal is made, THEN ask, "just off-hand, what would 'the wife's car' be worth on trade.

NEVER BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY when making the deal. You can get the extended warranty, at any time, while the original warranty is in effect. Therefore you have 2-5 years to see if it is needed. I have worked a dealership. I have NEVER bought a warranty on ANYTHING.

Sold a used car for $12k, commission $250, added the extended 2 yr warranty $800, commission $250. Wonder why they push that warranty so hard?

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you ever get wrangled into an extended warranty, remember they are all cancelable. Just have to do the leg work. Do it quick and you'll get almost all the money back, if not all of it. Most of the time, they'll just send the refund to the lien holder and it goes directly to principle, sometimes they cut the check to you.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last truck I bought was in 05, from David Stanley. I had researched the truck I wanted, with the options, engine, drivetrain, etc. Shopped the truck at several dealers and came up with a fair price that I was willing to pay.
When I went to Stanleys, I told the salesman I wanted to do 2 things, sale my used truck to them and buy a new truck with the options I wanted.
They first wanted me to sign a paper stating if the price was right I would buy today. Then they were going to show me the selection of new trucks, while they check my credit. I told them no, first were going to agree what you are willing to pay for my used truck. Only then would we proceed to the new trucks. They mentioned trade in value. I told them I wasn't trading it in, I was selling them the truck and would expect a check cut to me whether I bought a new truck or not. They agreed.
Moments later a faster talker comes in and offers me X amount, it's a fair price, I agree to sell them the truck. On to the second part of the transaction. I told them make, model, options and color. I didn't need to test drive them, just show them to me. I wanted a white half ton ext cab with 5.3. They pull up 3, one red, one black, one driftwood.
Wheres the white? Don't have it, but the driftwood has all the extras. We talked price, but really I told them what I would pay. They said they couldn,t sell the truck for such a low amount, I told them to get my check for the used truck and I would call a cab. Their attitude changed. And as one poster said earlier, just as I was about to sign, I pulled back and shook my head, looking down and said "it's not white and that's the color I wanted." They knocked off another $1,000.
Their finance dept tried to get me at 7.5%, I called my bank, setting across from this guy. Told him the hell with that, my banker will do it for 2.9%. After checking his figures again, the rate mysteriously dropped to 1.9.
No extended warr or add ons'. Had to go though a lot it sounds but entire process was over in an hour and a half.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn shotty. I thought I was good at gettin' the best deal out of a car lot but I bow down in awe to your skill. I learned to negotiate in 3rd world locations via the US Nave. Where'd you learn yours.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last truck I bought was in 05, from David Stanley. I had researched the truck I wanted, with the options, engine, drivetrain, etc. Shopped the truck at several dealers and came up with a fair price that I was willing to pay.
When I went to Stanleys, I told the salesman I wanted to do 2 things, sale my used truck to them and buy a new truck with the options I wanted.
They first wanted me to sign a paper stating if the price was right I would buy today. Then they were going to show me the selection of new trucks, while they check my credit. I told them no, first were going to agree what you are willing to pay for my used truck. Only then would we proceed to the new trucks. They mentioned trade in value. I told them I wasn't trading it in, I was selling them the truck and would expect a check cut to me whether I bought a new truck or not. They agreed.
Moments later a faster talker comes in and offers me X amount, it's a fair price, I agree to sell them the truck. On to the second part of the transaction. I told them make, model, options and color. I didn't need to test drive them, just show them to me. I wanted a white half ton ext cab with 5.3. They pull up 3, one red, one black, one driftwood.
Wheres the white? Don't have it, but the driftwood has all the extras. We talked price, but really I told them what I would pay. They said they couldn,t sell the truck for such a low amount, I told them to get my check for the used truck and I would call a cab. Their attitude changed. And as one poster said earlier, just as I was about to sign, I pulled back and shook my head, looking down and said "it's not white and that's the color I wanted." They knocked off another $1,000.
Their finance dept tried to get me at 7.5%, I called my bank, setting across from this guy. Told him the hell with that, my banker will do it for 2.9%. After checking his figures again, the rate mysteriously dropped to 1.9.
No extended warr or add ons'. Had to go though a lot it sounds but entire process was over in an hour and a half.

And that is how it is done. Don't get married to whatever vehicle. Don't get mad, and be ready to walk if Any part of the deal is no to your liking. Also Key element is to KNOW what you want, the price, features and what a fair price is. You cannot get mad, happy or anything. Got the best deal on my suburban when I really didn't want to buy one. So it was going to be my way or no way. You have to be reasonable or you are going to get mad. No point in it. But do your homework and bring it with you. Also, get preapproved with a credit union or something, that way all bases are covered before you step on the lot. I agree to nothing until the whole deal is met. I know what I want for my vehicle and what is fair for both, with a leaning towards me.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an update about this:

Last week someone here on OSA PM'd me and told me she worked with the Norman Transcript's ad department and that the ad in question was a mistake on the paper's fault. She said a corrected ad would run, but didn't for-sure know when. I haven't heard from her since, but I imagine no corrected ad will be running considering the original was for a July 4 sale and the Fourth is long over.

I filed a complaint with the BBB the day this happened, and the general counsel for David Stanley replied and explained it was an error on the Norman Transcript's part, and that they'd be more than happy to send me copies of electronic communications they had with the paper, which would support their story.

I closed the complaint but remarked that Marcus, the salesman we were originally dealing with, shouldn't have told us the Spark we test drove was the one for sale, as indicated in the ad. He should have double checked before making that claim.

And you know, too bad about this. My wife and I were looking for something more economical for longer drives, and David Stanley missed out on our business, because we took our business elsewhere and bought a CNG-powered Honda Civic.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I filed a complaint with the BBB the day this happened, and the general counsel for David Stanley replied and explained it was an error on the Norman Transcript's part, and that they'd be more than happy to send me copies of electronic communications they had with the paper, which would support their story.

I wonder how long the Norman Transcript has been letting Calvin do both, selling papers and doing ad copy?

Latest posts

Top Bottom