Daylight savings time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sen. Silk proposed a bill this session to keep DST permanent by moving the clock ahead one hour in March and not setting it back in November.

The bill failed due to the strong agriculture lobby and farmers pressuring legislators not to pass the bill because the extra hour of sunlight would cost billions of dollars in crop loss due to the additional summer heat brought on by the extra hour of sunlight.

http://www.kxii.com/content/news/Bi...daylight-savings-time-all-year-474973133.html

I may have made up that second paragraph...:wink2:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sen. Silk proposed a bill this session to keep DST permanent by moving the clock ahead one hour in March and not setting it back in November.

The bill failed due to the strong agriculture lobby and farmers pressuring legislators not to pass the bill because the extra hour of sunlight would cost billions of dollars in crop loss due to the additional summer heat brought on by the extra hour of sunlight.

http://www.kxii.com/content/news/Bi...daylight-savings-time-all-year-474973133.html

I may have made up that second paragraph...:wink2:

Lol, in all honesty, the ag world doesn't want it. Most producers work till dark or close to dark year around. Most enjoy being home with family by 5 or 6pm in the winter, this would have "added" another hour of course.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess that those who have a 'regular' job with 'regular' work times would prefer this to continue. However, my line of work has never had 'regular' work times. Some mornings, I arrive at work at 4am and get off mid afternoon. Some days I work 1pm to midnight. These shifts happen within the same week. Tweaking the 'time' does nothing for me. Now if something could be done to shift the time when I'm required to do overnight shifts, that would be nice!!

Wasn't trying to be snarky.....just pointing out the way humans try to trick themselves into believing that the natural flow of the universe can be 'altered' by altering our own construct of time.

So, how did the "natural flow of the universe" come up with time, other than say, working from "can see" to "can't see?" Did the universe have any input from others to indicate that "noon," thus lunch time, was to be when the sun was directly overhead? Did that "noon" factor apply to everyone, everywhere on the globe? Is that the reason mankind decided to alter things by creating time zones?

Oh, wait...

...I don't think the "universe" did all that.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, how did the "natural flow of the universe" come up with time, other than say, working from "can see" to "can't see?" Did the universe have any input from others to indicate that "noon," thus lunch time, was to be when the sun was directly overhead? Did that "noon" factor apply to everyone, everywhere on the globe? Is that the reason mankind decided to alter things by creating time zones?

Oh, wait...

...I don't think the "universe" did all that.

All of the above are human devices aimed at defining the structure of the world around them...….time included. The universe doesn't give a rat's behind about time.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of the above are human devices aimed at defining the structure of the world around them...….time included. The universe doesn't give a rat's behind about time.

Um, not true. Time, regardless of how its measured, is constant. Without it the universe would either come to a stand still or it would cease to exist. So I dare say the universe cares about time quite a bit. Time is just as tangible as mass, without it you would not be able to have velocity, gravity, acceleration/deceleration or energy transfer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom