DC Cops ordered to arrest for empty bullet casings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
District of Columbia Law, DC Code Ann.

Title 6, Chapter 23: Firearms Control, Subchapter 1 - General Provisions, Paragraph 6-2302 (2) has the following definition:
"Ammunition" means cartridge cases, shells, projectiles (including shot), primers, bullets (including restricted pistol bullets), propellant powder, or other devices or materials designed, redesigned, or intended for use in a firearm or destructive device"

So they clearly include pieces/parts under the ammunition definition.

Note to self: Do not travel to DC without vacuuming out the car and emptying out the purse ... :lookaroun Just in case ...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Note to self: Do not travel to DC without vacuuming out the car and emptying out the purse ... :lookaroun Just in case ...

No kidding. I used to be assigned to D.C.. I lived in Maryland but drove into the district almost every day and can think of more than once I drove to work with loaded shells or spent casings in the back of my truck.

A buddy and I had a deal with a guy who ran an apple orchard near our homes...we trapped/shot ground hogs for him and we could kill all the deer we wanted (and get free produce at his farmstand). I always remembered to take the guns out of the truck at night but almost certainly had some "ammunition" somewhere when I went to work the next morning. Yikes!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone cite the actual portions of D.C. municipal code that defines spent ammunition as ammunition and outlaws the carrying of spent ammunition without a firearm present?

Right now this smells like another internet "OH NOES" session based on a crappy book full of misinterpretations.

I can't give cites, but IIRC, they consider semi-auto personal defense weapons that utilize full capacity magazines (also erroneously known as "assault weapons") to be "machineguns". :rolleyes2

Okay that was funny.

It takes a refined sense of humor to appreciate mine. :D

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't give cites, but IIRC, they consider semi-auto personal defense weapons that utilize full capacity magazines (also erroneously known as "assault weapons") to be "machineguns". :rolleyes2

It was any semi-auto weapon capable of holding more than 12 rounds. That provision was removed in 2010 D.C. Law 17-372.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

While I don't have a purse to contend with I'm always finding ammo in my truck, I found a 100 rounds of 9mm a couple of months ago. Had 1000 round can of .22 spill a couple of years ago to this day even after cleaning my truck out several times one still rolls out from somewhere from time to time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom