De-registered NFA???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep no problem.

If you take an SBR lower and put a 16"+ upper on it, it is no longer under the purview of the NFA. If you want to permanently remove it from the registry you write them a letter.

I'm not exactly sure of the rules of removal, but I think you'd want the letter notarized and proof that it was mailed. I'm not sure if you have to wait for a response or not. Writing the NFA a letter can take quite some time to get a response. Like years.

blackknight22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DG is on the right track here. I have not ever submitted to have SBRs removed after removing the barrels, but I have submitted post '86 machine guns that we have cut for parts. On one bunch we received the written confirmation in right at 14 months. The last last notification I submitted in July 2010 and I am still waiting on the written response. About the only thing ATF can give you till the letter is sent is a log number that they received your request.
No way would I ever feel comfortable in sending in the notice and selling the SBR receiver prior to obtaining the letter from ATF, but that is just me.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically, nothing is ever "removed" from the registry. The registry will simply be annotated that the item has been returned to title 1 configuration, destroyed, etc.. Once something is in the registry it stays there forever.

A lot of good info is posted on the ATF's SBR FAQ page: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

Here is one question/answer form the ATF site that goes along with what others have stated:

Q: Is it necessary to send notification to ATF and receive acknowledgement that the SBR or SBS has been removed from the purview of the NFA before it may be sold as a GCA firearm?There is no requirement for the possessor of a registered NFA firearm to notify ATF that the firearm has been removed from the purview of the NFA. However, ATF recommends the possessor notify the NFA Branch of such changes in writing so that the possessor is not mistakenly identified as the owner if the firearm is later used in a crime. If, at the time of transfer, the firearm does not meet the definition of a SBR, it should be transferred without filing the NFA transfer application and without payment of the transfer tax.

Based on the part I underlined above, there is no way I would transfer a registered SBR receiver until I had written confirmation from ATF that the registry now reflects it as a title 1 firearm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom