Dead Crow Fatalities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this in a local newspaper and thought it might be of interests to all-especially Rick!
A national news report revealed that authorities found over 200 dead crows near Topeka Kansas and that they may have died from the Asian Flu which was bad for the crows but even worse for the people that were exposed to the creatures.
So they called a Bird Pathologist from the University of Kansas to examine the crows. Following a lengthy procedure, he conformed that the problem was NOT Asian Flu, much to everyone's relief.
However, after exhaustive research he and his staff concluded that while feasting on the local roadkill on Kansas highways, 98% of the crows had been killed by trucks and only 2% were killed by an impact by a car.
The State of Kansas, armed with a federal grant provided by the congressional Democrats then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine the disappropriate percentages of crow deaths. It took only a moth for the experts hired by the democrats to come up with the solution.
When a flock of crows descend upon roadkill, they always without fail set up a lookout in a nearby tree to warn the others about impending danger. The final conclusion was that all the lookout crows would say "caw" but none could say "truck." And that is how your tax
are spent!

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crows are smart, I have 4 or 5 that will sometimes walk around in my front yard picking at droppings from the bird feeders. One day I thought I would sneak around back with my 12 ga. Came around the corner of the house and they all took off, managed to get one but that was the end of my sneaking up on them. Now they post a guard that can see the end of the house. They trade off guards but always leave one out whear it can see me of I try that trick again.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they have "guard crows." I have heard that if you shoot at them they'll dodge as soon as they hear the sound and escape being shot. When I was a kid, I was out with a group other friends and we decided to shoot at a flock of crows. We shot and they left and then reappeared and we shot at the lead crow but it turned out to be an Owl. Sad day for the owl and us, we wouldn't have shot the Owl had we known.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they have "guard crows."
That's what I've read. I've also read that they can remember individuals, and will go after people who've "wronged" them.

Years ago, an acquaintance told me that he'd had problems with crows, so he started picking them off with a pellet rifle. It didn't take long for them to learn its range and to stay back, so he switched to a .22LR. Again, they learned its range, so he switched to a .22-250. By the time they learned its range, they were off his property, so he didn't care any longer.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they have "guard crows." I have heard that if you shoot at them they'll dodge as soon as they hear the sound and escape being shot. When I was a kid, I was out with a group other friends and we decided to shoot at a flock of crows. We shot and they left and then reappeared and we shot at the lead crow but it turned out to be an Owl. Sad day for the owl and us, we wouldn't have shot the Owl had we known.

Isn’t a flock of crows called a murder?
There was a special on OETA a few years ago about crows and their intellect. A friend of mine who is a falconer helped with the study and filming of the show. He had raised a few crows from the egg and did a lot of work with crows and recorded lots of information. He told me that they were the most intelligent bird alive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn’t a flock of crows called a murder?
There was a special on OETA a few years ago about crows and their intellect. A friend of mine who is a falconer helped with the study and filming of the show. He had raised a few crows from the egg and did a lot of work with crows and recorded lots of information. He told me that they were the most intelligent bird alive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, the collective noun is a murder of crows.
I’ve heard they are smart but we shot hundreds of them daily around Ft Cobb back in the 80’s when that was a huge roost.
The county would put dumpsters at intersections for the dead birds to be deposited in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom