DEAL Valvoline VR1 $4.79 Quart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep that is correct the good old VR1 Racing silver bottle for $4.79 a quart at NAPA
If you order ONLINE.
I really put it to them this morning with 40 quarts of 10-30 and 40 quarts of 20-50.
That will get me 16 oil changes so I should be good for 2 years for my 2 cars.

If I was smart I would buy more. Way better than 6.99 a quart or more and it just keeps getting higher.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep that is correct the good old VR1 Racing silver bottle for $4.79 a quart at NAPA
If you order ONLINE.
I really put it to them this morning with 40 quarts of 10-30 and 40 quarts of 20-50.

If I was smart I would buy more. Way better than 6.99 a quart or more and it just keeps getting higher.
I watch for Napa oil sales. It is Valvoline with a Napa label. Once I was able to use a 20% off coupon with a sale they had and I was getting full synthetic for around $3/qt. I stocked up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have as that order will not fill until Tuesday

I used a zip code 74053 and is shows not on sale and $8.29 in that area
OUCH!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you order ONLINE.

What are you running 20w50 in?

FWIW if you troll around on the bobistheoilguy forums..... their deal section will have really good deals. I probably bought 100qts are few years back when Autozone was blowing out all sorts of synthetics for $2. Amazon also ran Pen Plat ultra last fall for $19 for 5qt jugs.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am oil picky I need stuff for flat tappet cams and I have not had my recipe fail me since 2007.
That is when the oil ZDDP levels went to crap and I had 2 back to back flat tappet failures.
Mobil 1 synthetic was what I used to use and about that time they dropped the ball and my MPG went 6 MPG less and engine got noisy That was the Corolla and I switched to T6 until they reformulated.

What are you running 20w50 in

The additive package for the VR1 silver bottles for 10-30 or 20-50 are the same and I mix the 2 weights.
Been doing it for 2 vehicles and over 150,000 miles with NO issues and no lifter failures.
I get close to a 15-40 when I mix them.

The vehicle I need it for currently is my 57 chevy with the 1969 350" that has over 400,000 miles on it.
Freshened up a couple times and I have experimented with many cams and heads in that engine.
A video of it at the track and another one figuring out I had point bounce at 7000 rpm.

Racing my buddy in his 2015 550 Wheel HP supercharged mustang.
My timing slipped to 28 total No top end pull on my part. I still won.

The point bounce. 7000 RPM

That is what I use the VR1 in and my 47 dodge truck when it does not have a hole in the block :)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You caught him sleepin lol.

I hear what you're saying about mixing the weights, I would mix in 40w flavors on my ecoboost when it was tuned. They shear oil pretty bad.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the detergent pkg is much less in the racing oil. I'd think you would need to change it sooner in a street car if you used it? I know the Mobil-1 HM used to have higher levels of zinc than the std formula. Also, I recall Quaker state had a formula I used for a previous flat tappet vehicle called DEFY. not sure if they still make it or not, but if this is still the same, either of these should have an acceptable detergent pkg for a longer OC interval...but then again, if what you are doing is working, it's your decision. Just wanted to mention it.

EDIT:

https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/blog/new-green-bottle0.html

"What happened to Quaker State Defy? My engine has 80,000 miles and I need high mileage motor oil.

Quaker State Defy High Mileage motor oil is now called Quaker State High Mileage motor oil. Rest assured, the product is the same, just a shorter name!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom