Dealer serial number screw up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevy4wd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I bought my first suppressor back in February 2021 form a Oklahoma based retail store dealer. I has hoping to have it by hunting season. It was been 7.5 months so I thought I would call and check on it. First agent told me they received it late April. My first thought was really…It took almost 2.25 months from the time I bought it to getting the paperwork to the ATF?

I said thank you and hung up. But then reading online I see everyone referring to a check cashed date so I called back to ask if this was the same or a different date. I was told by a new rep that the dealer name I provided didn’t match the serial number. I was like “really I just got off the phone with anther agent that didn’t have any issue with the serial number and dealer name”. So I said thank you and called my dealer. Dealer told me “let me call them and I will call you right back.” After 2.5 hours I called them back. “ oh yeah let me get that paper work…. That serial number we gave you is no good. There was a mix up and you actual serial number is xxxx.” Keep in mind I intentionally inspected the can with the same serial number I was buying and that is on my receipt while I was in the store.

Then I call back the ATF and provide them with the new serial number I was given. The third different rep said “I’m sorry that serial number is not coming up”. So now I call the dealer back again and not happy.

Well turns out they transferred the serial number I bought to another dealer sometime after I was in the store. So at this point I’m never getting the serial number I bought that day. He said that once the paperwork actually gets assigned an agent he can ask them to return it to him. They can correct the serial number and then mail it back to them. He is acting like it is no big deal and I’m sitting here asking my self “how much longer is this screw up going to add to my wait time?”

so my questions are the following:

Is it common to have a 2+ month lag time between purchasing in store and the ATF receiving the paperwork?

How much additional wait time on my end did the dealer add by transferring my suppressor to another dealer and now having to wait to fix the paperwork after it actually gets assigned to an agent?

What if anything else can or should I do about this? I’m tempted to tell them to give me my money back and go buy one elsewhere… maybe I’ll have it by next hunting season. Though keep in mind I bought another one from same dealer in July and I haven’t even asked about the status of it yet so no telling there.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took me 14 months to get mine cause the dealer didnt send all the paperwork not once but twice, it took me 4 months to get that straight. And i used a Kiosk to do the form paperwork.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It took exactly one week from the day I dropped my Form-4 paperwork off at the post office for the $200 charge to hit my credit card. That was May so of course I'm still waiting. Maybe by Christmas or Feb?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any NFA stuff and I've resisted buying any for these reasons. It irritates the holy hell outta me that the federal government requires you to pay a ridiculous $200 tax on an artificially costly item just so they can screw around for months and months to accomplish something that shouldn't take more than maybe a week. Almost everything could be done electronically and a fingerprint check can usually be finished in a day or two.

I guarantee if a government agency was looking for something from you they sure as hell wouldn't wait 9 months to a year to get it.

"Oh, yes, Mr IRS Agent. I'll get that information to you in about a year. No problem. I'm a little busy, you see." Who thinks that would fly?

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's a real hose job glad they don't interest me. why would someone need one for hunting anyway not because of your ears you only take one shot maby two ear plugs would work for that. not sure i see the point. would be great on your target rifle though i hate ear protection.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any NFA stuff and I've resisted buying any for these reasons. It irritates the holy hell outta me that the federal government requires you to pay a ridiculous $200 tax on an artificially costly item just so they can screw around for months and months to accomplish something that shouldn't take more than maybe a week. Almost everything could be done electronically and a fingerprint check can usually be finished in a day or two.

I guarantee if a government agency was looking for something from you they sure as hell wouldn't wait 9 months to a year to get it.

"Oh, yes, Mr IRS Agent. I'll get that information to you in about a year. No problem. I'm a little busy, you see." Who thinks that would fly?
In places like South Africa, you can buy the same cans sold here in the US over the counter like a soft drink for under a hundred bucks with no paperwork.
Buddy went on safari last year. He bought one to use but had to leave it.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In places like South Africa, you can buy the same cans sold here in the US over the counter like a soft drink for under a hundred bucks with no paperwork.
Buddy went on safari last year. He bought one to use but had to leave it.
Do they have blood running in the streets from silencer murders?

No?

I didn't think so... :rollingla

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason our cans cost so much is they made with much better materials to last a lifetime because of the hassle. The other countries where you can buy them over the counter are made cheaply and to be disposable. Kind of like fine china vs. a paper plate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom