Dealing with the Police After

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone who speaks to the police prior to speaking to a lawyer is a fool. The police have not arrived to help you and they think everyone is guilty anyway. Anyting said to them has no chance of helping you and every chance of hurting you.

This is a vast over-generalization and poor advice unless you are guilty.

Some things you say help; some hurt. Use some solid guidelines and experience to determine which is which.

Michael Brown

K

Kings & Ar-15's

Awesome post! While I hope I never encounter a situation that requires me to have to go into a line of police questioning, I feel more confident now after reading your post. Very informative and I think most people would agree. Keep up the great advice!

D

DNP19

New to the forum, and this post was one of the first I read in any detail. It was quite helpful, and certainly points to the fact that one should consider all aspects and implications of CCW use before actually hitting the street with one. This especially means the inevitable police encounter if you are forced to use your weapon. It probably seems mighty obvious to some, but based on the bunch that sat through a fairly recent OK firearms safely / pre-carry course with me, I am 100% certain that the majority of them had not considered any of this, and probably won't even after they start carrying - at least judging by their comments and questions throughout the class.

Insightful - thanks!

rogersz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mr. Brown

Thanks for starting this thread and the advice you offer, it seems like sound advice. I do have one more question:

Does the caliber and capacity of the firearm used in a self defense situation have an impact on the investigation? For example, do i look more favorable if I'm carrying a small caliber with a small capacity compared to a large caliber with a large capacity?

Thanks for your time and insight.

nandb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good post. Think it's really important to be the first to call, you are the victim. "You can plainly see officer by the evidence that is around that this (bad) guy attempted to take my life, I was in grave fear for my life and forced to protect myself. I take this matter very responsibly so you will understand that I will defer answering further questions until I obtain adequate legal representation." Other than answering simple questions not directly related to the scenario like your name, address, etc I would shut up at this point, expect your gun to be taken, expect to go downtown but as one poster point out, don't get worked up about it just let your attorney handle it from here.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New to the forum, & to OK. Recently took the OK CCW so that I could learn the state laws, after reading this thread I realize that I must have had the worst instructor in the state, he contradicted himself constantly, and covered none of this information.

With that said, thank you all for the great info and varied perspectives!

Latest posts

Top Bottom