Dealing with the Police After

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is just a question for you Michael. I remember when I took the CCW class the instructors said not to tell anyone anything about what happened, ONLY talk to the lawyer what happened at the scene and only discuss with the lawyer about it. Why did they says that? This is the only question I have, other than that I totally agreed to what you said above.

thanks

I can only speculate as to why a lawyer would say that but what I CAN tell you for sure is that ignoring the police's most basic questions at the scene makes it far more likely that you may have to fight some issues later that you could have easily side-stepped with some simple, non-commital answers and basic facts of the incident.

Michael Brown

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can only speculate as to why a lawyer would say that but what I CAN tell you for sure is that ignoring the police's most basic questions at the scene makes it far more likely that you may have to fight some issues later that you could have easily side-stepped with some simple, non-commital answers and basic facts of the incident.

Michael Brown

Thank you, I really appreciate it. More to learn everyday :thumb: thanks.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question, what do you mean here?:
Do not clam up but don't go verbal spastic either.

Be cool. Breath deeply before you speak.

Make sure the police understand that you are the victim and want to file charges against the person who just tried to murder you or someone you had the right to protect.

Do not just say "I want my lawyer." Politely agree to cooperate with the investigation of the criminal who tried to murder you once your lawyer arrives.

Do not present a police officer with a pre-paid legal card. I know people seem to like them these days, but in my opinion they arouse suspicion.

You need the police on your side from the start if you can, so don't compromise your rights but don't be stand-offish either.

Do you mean we need to give a quick rundown of the situation, "The guy tried to kill me and I shot to stop the threat, etc." or do we need to answer all questions and be cooperative as possible even if we don't have the lawyer yet?

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question, what do you mean here?:
Do not clam up but don't go verbal spastic either.

Be cool. Breath deeply before you speak.

Make sure the police understand that you are the victim and want to file charges against the person who just tried to murder you or someone you had the right to protect.

Do not just say "I want my lawyer." Politely agree to cooperate with the investigation of the criminal who tried to murder you once your lawyer arrives.

Do not present a police officer with a pre-paid legal card. I know people seem to like them these days, but in my opinion they arouse suspicion.

You need the police on your side from the start if you can, so don't compromise your rights but don't be stand-offish either.

Do you mean we need to give a quick rundown of the situation, "The guy tried to kill me and I shot to stop the threat, etc." or do we need to answer all questions and be cooperative as possible even if we don't have the lawyer yet?

1) Make sure the police know that you are the victim i.e. "I am the victim."

2) Make sure the police understand that you fired in self-defense i.e. "That man tried to kill me and I fired in self-defense."

3) Make the police aware of witnesses i.e. "Those people there saw him try to kill me."

4) Make sure the police are aware that you will cooperate with the investigation once your lawyer arrives. "I will sign any complaints against the person that tried to kill me and fully cooperate with the investigation once my attorney arrives."

Michael Brown

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For several years I have taught CCW classes and advised them to limit their comments to:
1. I was in fear for my life.
2. I had to defend myself.
3. I will sign a complaint against that person.
4. I want to speak with my attorney.
5. I need medical attention from a doctor.
The only other thing that you might add at this point is to identify witnesses or point out evidence that might be lost, destroyed, or go undetected (i.e., "those three guys saw the whole thing" or " I believe his weapon bounced into that snow bank").
All of this should be done politely and in the one down negotiationg style MB discussed.

VociferousJD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom