Dealing with the Police After

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is something very important to be said about "not talking to the police". It does not mean you can't tell them your name, give them your ID, CCW permit, etc. What it does mean is that you don't discuss any details of the event without legal counsel. You tell the officer, "We will be happy to answer your questions as soon as my Attorney gets here". When the lawyer arrives you get to go to the side and talk to him, telling him everything, answering all of his questions. Do not do so where others can hear.

Now comes the important part. Your Attorney answers all the questions the police ask. If you want to more clearly understand why your future liberty hinges on this point you must get informed. Watch the video and be sure to watch part 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

While I think laying your gun on the ground is a bad idea, the attorney at H&H is absolutely correct on one point. Do not discuss the incident with police. The investigation is going to go on for weeks, maybe months. It will not hurt their inquiry to wait an hour to get answers. The police should understand. If a police officer is the target of a criminal investigation s/he won't speak other than through their attorney so neither should you.

Know your rights. Don't give them away.

50Shooter

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doug Friesen is absolutely correct. I am a criminal defense attorney who can tell you that as a general rule, it is not a good idea to make statements to the police if you are or may become a suspect. If a dead body is involved the scrutiny will be high and any misstatements made will be forever memorialized in the police reports which the District Attorney will review for purposes of prosecution, and the officers will review prior to any and all testimony. Some people are not good at explaining events or properly conveying a thought, especially if they have just killed someone. Some police officers do not accurately reflect statements in their reports. Massad Ayoob advises against making a statement after a shooting. He advises a cooling down period and time for proper reflection as to the events. He of course advises that one should consult an attorney prior to making a statement. Most attorneys would want to make a recording of the statement so that nothing will be misconstrued or taken out of context. If you must use deadly force the first thing out of your mouth should be that you feared for your life or the life of another. If a police officer has a problem with you asking to consult with counsel, that is an officer that I wouldnt trust.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Massad Ayoob advises against making a statement after a shooting. He advises a cooling down period and time for proper reflection as to the events. He of course advises that one should consult an attorney prior to making a statement.

If you'll review Mas' videos, you will find that this is not correct.

He advises you to make a simple generic statement to the police and THEN ask to speak to your attorney.

As a criminal defense attorney, have you ever defended anyone involved in a lawful shooting?

Michael Brown

Martialartsblackbelt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
thanks but ill stick to, " im sorry im too upset to make a statement now"
stating that " i want to talk to my lawyer first" dose not make me a guilty person.
you will most likely be too shook up to make a competent statement.
you might say something like. he looked like he was gonna attack me so i killed the mother F*****. that wont look good on paper
its my right and i shouldn't be a suspect because i want to exercise my rights.

and the cops want you to do whatever makes their job easy.

for example about a month ago there was some one impersonating a police officer and tulsa police's official position was to act as if the person your in contact is in law enforcement even if you don't think they are.
unbelievable.
Pure and simple, making their jobs easer and nothing to do with our safty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom