Dealing with the wind while boat fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bow has less drag in the water.

Try turning outboard full turn with it down and see if will help it to drift a little more sideways.
I don't really mind it drifting the way it does, just surprised me when I first got it. I'll try turning the motor to see what happens.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drift sock. They are good if you don't want to remain stationary over structure.

We call em Water Anchor. EVERY boat should have one. Will keep a boat from sinking when said boat breaks down and wind is ripping. Will keep the front of the boat towards the white capping and not swamp the boat.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There you have it. Everyone has viable, value in different situations depending on the angle you want your boat to be in. Drifting from port or starboard side also changes boat push. Learn how your boat reacts and you can drift parallel to shore. Even in angled winds. ( hence master angler - lol )

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice y’all! The replies are much appreciated. I’m getting some really good tips here.

It sounds like I need to practice and learn some new skills in order to deal with the wind. Learn to harness and re-use the energy of my enemy I suppose.

Still though… hard to beat those calm, glass water sunsets/rises, when it comes to pure enjoyment on a small boat.

I can definitely see how the fishing would still be good regardless of the wind. It’s just the issue of learning how to deal with the frustrating wind…

I have noticed with fishing, that generally whatever makes the human less comfortable, the fish actually enjoy. Rain, wind, snags, storms, etc.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice y’all! The replies are much appreciated. I’m getting some really good tips here.

It sounds like I need to practice and learn some new skills in order to deal with the wind. Learn to harness and re-use the energy of my enemy I suppose.

Still though… hard to beat those calm, glass water sunsets/rises, when it comes to pure enjoyment on a small boat.

I can definitely see how the fishing would still be good regardless of the wind. It’s just the issue of learning how to deal with the frustrating wind…

I have noticed with fishing, that generally whatever makes the human less comfortable, the fish actually enjoy. Rain, wind, snags, storms, etc.
Always keep in mind though that without the wind across our lakes, y'all would be an even bigger star attraction at the mosquito buffet :coffee2:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drift anchors are cheap to try:

https://www.academy.com/p/marine-raider-small-drift-anchor
https://www.academy.com/p/marine-raider-large-drift-anchor
If you're not fishing too deep, you can use a shallow water anchor pole or pin. They usually run $50 to $150, depending on length and quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Shallow-Water-Anchors/s?k=Shallow+Water+Anchors
Or you can DIY on a budget:

https://www.catfishedge.com/shallow-water-anchor/
If all else fails, you can always drop two standard anchors and drop them bow & stern.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I do is long anchor rope w/about 5-6 ft chain off bow 3-4 times at least depth of water. Constant wind ,one anchor off back going upwind .variable wind ,two anchors off back. NOT mushroom anchors unless it's for temporary anchor. Biggest mistake most folks make when anchoring is not enough rope. Drag/storm anchors are great . a large enough one can almost stop any wind drift won't do much for current. Old drift boats in rivers would use a heavy chain I'm told. The type of anchor you use makes a real difference. And the chain does also even on one of those plastic coated mostly useless weights nearly everyone uses now days because they are cleaner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom