Death Certificate Delay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About three weeks ago, my Dad passed away after complications arose during surgery. I just found out that my Mom still hasn't received a death certificate. Before I get sideways with somebody at the hospital, I'm trying to find out if there is a standard time frame for a death certificate to be issued. If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember, but doesn't the official certificate of death come from the State?
Edit:
When you do get it, make sure to take it to the county clerk and have at least a dozen certified copies if not more made. I had to even give the cable company a cert to get the cable contract dissolved.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.
I used to work for Verizon, and for you or anybody out there they will cancel service with no early penalties. No questions or paperwork required.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis is correct. They are issued by the state. You can go down and pick one up anytime as long as it’s been issued. 3 weeks may not be long enough with our state agencies.

Sorry for your loss.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About three weeks ago, my Dad passed away after complications arose during surgery. I just found out that my Mom still hasn't received a death certificate. Before I get sideways with somebody at the hospital, I'm trying to find out if there is a standard time frame for a death certificate to be issued. If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.

I am sorry for your loss. The hospitals only report the death; not issue the certificate. Call the State Dept of Vital Records at 405-271-4040. Be aware that it can take up to 6 weeks or so to get this.

Last edited:

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funeral home took care of it when my Mom died. It was part of the funeral home burial package.

Same here, my mom died a year ago. Sorry for your loss. I had ordered about 4 originals. Most companies (insurance,utilities,etc) I dealt with only needed copies of death cert. Luckily, she had my name on most stuff... good luck

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss. The hospitals only report the death; not issue the certificate. Call the State Dept of Vital Records at 405-271-4040. Be aware that it can take up to 6 weeks or so to get this.
I would also note that cause of death will be listed as pending. The official cause will take much longer, 3 months in my FIL's case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom